diy solar

diy solar

Looking for assistance completing my RV Solar/LiFePO4 install in Dallas Fort Worth area

FollowTheSun

I am looking for someone in the Dallas Fort Worth or surrounding area to help me complete the last few steps of my truck camper solar, LiFePO4, Victron inverter installation. I am a novice when it comes to electrical components and pretty much everything having to do with this installation and do not want to ruin any expensive equipment. I've used internet guides to get this far but need assistance before energizing the system. I can drive the RV to you, even drop it off if required, and will pay whatever fair rate to have the work completed. If I can be guided though the setup though this form I am willing to give that a try as well.

I have an 2021 Cirrus 820 truck camper that came with 210w of solar, a Victron 75/15 MPPT charge controller, a 1200w inverter and two flooded lead acid batteries. I am keeping the existing solar panel and charge controller but will be replacing the flooded lead acid batteries and inverter with the below list of items. All new items will be hooked into the existing wiring of the RV using the factory installed fuse box. I have all equipment already purchased, solar panels mounted, cables made and installed, top balanced the batteries, but I have not altered the existing system or hooked any of the new equipment up.

I am expanding the existing RV solar system by adding:

600w of solar
Victron 150/70 MPPT charge controller
Victron BMV-712 BMS
A Victron Multiplus 12/3000 inverter
A 4s3p bank of 280AH LiFePO4 batteries for a total capacity of 840ah at 12v
Three xiaoxiang/Overkill Solar 120ah BMS, one for each 12v battery bank with temperature sensors
Fuses, circuit breaker, 4/0, 2awg, 4awg, 8awg and other cables with hydraulic pressed/heat shrinked ends

Can someone either assist me with this project or point me towards a professional? I can possibly drive quite a distance to someone who can help as I work full time remotely.

Thank you!

Hi There, I have a 2020 Nucamp cirrus 820, with one renogy 160w flex solar. Upgrading to 3X160 panels, 2P 4S EVE 280Ah 3.2V LiFePO4, Victron multiplus 12/3000 3000w inverter, Victron MPPT 100/50, and orion TR smart 12/12-30 DC-DC charger. All mounted on a 2020 Ford F350 7.3 Godzilla Tremor with dual Batteries and dual alternators I am getting ready to dig into it and have been following theExplorists.life on youtube who have upgraded a cirrus 820. https://www.youtube.com/c/EXPLORISTlife/featured

Let me know your progress, all the best,

Mike

Hello Mike,

We may be following very similar instructions. I used https://www.explorist.life/3000w-inverter-400-600ah-400-to-1200w-solar-camper-solar-kit/ . I was not able to find anyone to assist me so I decided to take my chances and power everything up and to my surprise, when I hooked it up it worked! I had to remove an inline fuse that was causing stability issues with the inverter, and I built my own 12v LifePO4 battery packs which is so much more difficult than using something like BattleBorn but they have 3x the power density and are 3x cheaper but easily 10x more difficult to build and manage. I've yet to install the alternator component but I have all the parts.

Regards,

Chris

Back