diy solar

diy solar

Looking for ATS control design/diagram without using Relays

burgerking

The common ATS i've seen all uses mechanical-inductive DPDT relays to disengage the secondary power source.

I am not confident with this solution; the relay will burn up overtime.

Is there a different design without using mechanical relays for the control?

Last edited:
I think you want a SSR (solid state relay) ATS? I believe these draw power on there own, so a physical relay would be more efficient. I agree with your assessment that a physical relay would fail over time. GoPower and Xantrex have popular ones on Amazon, not SSR though.

I guess the hope is if it fails, it just doesn't switch anymore. If it's on grid side, no foul. If it's on inverter side, the inverter would simply shut down on its own once the battery is low. No foul either unless you are running critical equipment. If it completely fails (fusing both sides for example), the fuse/breaker should handle it.

You thinking about using an ATS?

The common ATS i've seen all uses mechanical-inductive DPDT relays to disengage the secondary power source.
What is the goal? What are you defining as secondary power source? I have a hybrid inverter that has an internal ATS and it varies the use of the grid without using relays. In my situation I view the grid as a secondary power source and use it as little as possible. As far as I know the relays are only used to provide the required islanding if the grid goes down. That is when I hear them click.

This is the usual ATS circuit I encounter (at least the 2 types I commonly see in retail)

1654637726514.png
My problem is with Controller having a mechanical relay that is powered all the time, both for monitoring MAIN power and disengaging/preventing Emergency from powering Pull Emergency Coil.

I have no problem with the Transfer Switch SW1; it is a Latching Relay requiring only momentarily power to flip it up or down.

What is the goal? What are you defining as secondary power source? I have a hybrid inverter that has an internal ATS and it varies the use of the grid without using relays. In my situation I view the grid as a secondary power source and use it as little as possible. As far as I know the relays are only used to provide the required islanding if the grid goes down. That is when I hear them click.
But not all Inverters have their own ATS and not everyone uses your exact inverter thus the need of external ATS.

Back