diy solar

diy solar

Looking for battery build advice

John Kinslow

Background, have 24 volt trolling motor which is powered by two group 29 lead acid batteries. Due to location I have to store the boat, I have to remove the batteries and charge them at home each time I use the boat. These batteries are getting too darn heavy for this old man. I am currently wait delivery of 8 ea 240Ah 3.2V Grade A cells from Tewaycell via Aliexpress. My question: Regarding finished battery weight, I would like to have this battery unit in 2 pcs. Would it be best to build 2ea 12V batteries w/ a 4s 12v BMS for each or can I use an 8s 24v BMS with disconnect plug for the 4 cell monitor wires on the assembly w/o BMS? Batteries will be within inches of each other. Thanks

IIRC, those cells will weigh about 70# alone.

I have never heard of that supplier. No meaningful search results on that name on this site.

I would scrutinize the crap out of them and plan to do a full top balance and the whole shebang.

I would build as your second scenario. Helped a friend do exactly this. Didn't bother with a disconnect plug, just had connectors for each of the other four leads labeled for convenience and a hearty 2/0 stubby cable joining them.

No sun or power in storage to charge at 24 volts?

Pair of 12 volt batteries might be fine.... consider charging them in parallel with a 12 volt charger to keep in balance.

Thanks for the info and additional threads. Lots of info here.
Weight, current group 29 lead/acid batteries about 60# each and tough for an old man to lift up out of boat. Figured the LifeP04 would save my back for a while being about 20# lighter each.

No power where boat is stored and hopefully we'll have some cloudy days here in the Sacramento area when we get some rain. I do fish in the winter some and need batteries ready to go when needed.

@time2roll 's point was that if you have sunshine available where you store the boat, then you could mount a couple of solar panels to the tongue or the boat to keep the 24v battery charged up. Then there is no need to remove it at all.

54 amp wide open; but hardly used wide open. I have never check amp use at the usual speeds I troll at. Figured with the 240amp system I would be good for a 2 day trip. At times I'm able to go fishing once a week.

54 amp wide open; but hardly used wide open. I have never check amp use at the usual speeds I troll at. Figured with the 240amp system I would be good for a 2 day trip. At times I'm able to go fishing once a week.

Going overkill BMS? 100A should be good.

If there's ANY way of deploying solar, even a 100W panel would likely restore about 10-15% of your capacity with good sun on your 2 day fishing trip... like refueling on the water. :)

Back