diy solar

diy solar

looking for best battery + AC coupled inverter combo

jpowell79

Hi guys,

just looking for some advice. I'm based in the UK and am starting to think energy prices will go out of control over the next 6-12 months, so looking at options to backup my cheap energy provided by my Octopus Go tariff.

Sadly, solar seems to be out of the question for me. I live in a terraced house with an East and West facing roof, and even if I went down the route of installing panels and accepting the decreased efficiency, I'd probably still only be able to get 6-8 panels on each side of the roof. Probably not worth it.

Anyhow, I am on Octopus go and we get cheap(ish) energy between 00:30 and 04:30 every night, so would like to take advantage of this.

We have a Hyundai Kona EV, but I'm happy to isolate this from any battery backup solution, so that it charges entirely from the grid. We only ever charge it between 00:30 and 04:30 anyway, and honestly with the little mileage we do now that I'm working from home, it's very rare for us to charge the car more than once per week, and in an emergency, I guess we could always charge the car with the 13amp plug cable it comes with.

Aside from the car, we'd love to be charging up a battery each night, and then using that stored (cheaper) energy to power things throughout the day.

Apart from the obvious things (kettle, toaster, washing machine, tumble dryer) In terms of high power draw around the house, we have a 9kw electric shower, a 3kw hob, 6kw oven.

Am kind of new to this, but my understanding is that if we got a battery with an AC coupled 6kw inverter, then powering the shower would also be out of the question based on the limitations of the AC inverter? If that's the case, it wouldn't be the end of the world to run the shower "on-grid" as well as after all, we're only in the shower for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Excluding the car charging, I'd say we tend to use around 10-12kw of electricity per day, although with the way things are, we're definitely going to be more energy conscious moving forwards, turning things off when not being used, etc., so I reckon we'll possibly get this down to around 9-10kw per day.

So at the moment, (I think) I'm looking for a battery solution of around 10kw, with a 6kw AC coupled inverter, which would let us run everything in the house excluding the shower and charging the car.

Is this right?

If so, what would the recommendation be based on my use case?

And if I'm completely wrong here in the way I've understood things, please feel free to remind me of what an idiot I am and please set me on the right path! :)

thanks!

Back