diy solar

diy solar

Looking for feedback: where to mount busbar on battery rack

Unfortunately, water pipe has a high resistance compared to copper bussbar material.
Probably better than brass junk bars, but you certainly need to use K grade pipe, and the biggest pipe you can find to reduce voltage drop.
They are just short junction blocks. I saw no voltage drop with them. It was a "spur of the moment" thought. Necessity is a mother.

I do, at times. Ali Express and such. But if I can fabricate it here with what I have, I tend to do so. Stubborn I am.
I hear ya, feel the same way most of the time.
Maybe a good strategy would be - solve your need locally (like making bus bars from copper pipe sections) to get your system going, but Also order better bus bars online, and although it will cost money, and take time to get these, once they arrive swap out the temporary solution for the (better) permanent solution.
I belive this approach will let you make progress and use your system in the short term, but also result in a better more reliable system in the longer term. {your situation, your money, your decision}/hope this helps.

Here is my current setup:

(3) EG4 48V Batteries
(2) Victron Busbar 4P 250A
(1) 400Lbs 12U Server Rack

- I am ordering (2) sets (black/red) of 3 wires same length, busbar to each battery
- I am also ordering (1) pair of black/red wires, same length, inverter to busbar

I suspect aside from the same cable lengths, the order of the connections is also important. I need to read more on this to sort this part out.

But my question now is regarding to where exactly would be a good location to mount the busbar in the server rack:View attachment 149117

Option A: mount each busbar on the side of the server rack
Option B: mount both busbars on the top of the server rack, towards the front of the rack.

I understand different locations will require different wire lengths (and different costs!) but aside cost, any other thing I should be considering? For instance, is it okay (or smart) to bolt the busbar directly on the top shelf? Am I missing something here or is either doable, just a matter of preference?

Thanks in advance!
Any picture of what you ended up doing. I am trying to do the same. How did you secure the bus bar to the server rack? Did you end up using a shelf?

Back