diy solar

diy solar

Looking for help wiring up my panels

solaronetwo

Hello and thank you all for being here. I have learned so much reading around.

I'm trying to get my solar setup working. My components/questions are below.

I have (6) Renogy 320W panels 40.1V open circuit voltage:
https://www.renogy.com/320-watt-monocrystalline-solar-panel/

First thing I've tried was to connect a single panel to a Renogy Wanderer 30amp MPPT (https://www.renogy.com/wanderer-li-30a-pwm-charge-controller/ ) to charge a 12V deep cycle battery. That has not worked. Are the panels too high of a voltage?

I am now trying to get a panel to work with my Growatt SPF 3500 ES (https://www.growatt-inverter.com/product/growatt-spf-3500-es-off-grid/). I can get the growatt to turn on by plugging in the (4) 12V deep cycle batteries wired to put out 51V as tested with multimeter. I still can't get the single panel to charge the batteries through the Growatt. Do I need to wire up more of the panels?

Questions summarized:
1. Can I wire up one Renogy 320w panel to a MPPT and charge a 12V deep cycle battery? Or purchase a cheap Jackery/Ecoflow/Bluetti battery inverter? That would be step one and get power my 120V well pump plus a couple outlets.
2. Can I wire up all (6) of the solar panels to charge the 48V deep cycle battery bank using the Growatt all-in-one? If yes, what wiring configuration?
3. I'd like to eventually get a Ecoflow Delta Max or similar battery to back up my 120V home circuits. Will any of the battery backup all-in-one units work with my panels? (I realized after purchasing that my 230V AC growatt all-in-one inverter won't wire directly to my home panel and don't care for a transformer due to nuetral/ground bond concerns. I may also just get an inverter and lithium batteries from signature solar).

Thank you so much for reading. I've been struggling with this for over a year now and can't seem to get anything to click.

-Nate

Wanderer max PV input is 25V, so your panel is too high. Growatt would need at least 60V from solar to charge 48V battery, so at least 2 panels in series (3 probably better). I would do 2 strings of 3 panels in series into the Growatt.

EDIT: I just checked that Growatt spec sheet. Man, I wish I had waited a year and gotten it! It needs 120V-430V of solar. Put all 6 of those panels into a single string! (Get a different smaller panel for the Wanderer).

Thanks for the quick response!

Great news that there is a reason both my initial tries weren't working. Just that is a huge help thanks BBbbrass.

So I can wire up a single string and feed it back to the Growatt.

This is the wiring diagram I'd use:
How-to-wire-solar-panels-series.gif

Looks good. You could use the 6th panel also. You don’t “technically” need a fuse or PV disconnect, but I would use both.

Thank you again. Very grateful for your responses Bbbbrass and this forum!!!!!!

I'll post an update if I get it working.

This is a great place! Just a heads up, it’s possible you fried the wanderer. It doesn’t have over voltage protection that i can see.

Back