diy solar

diy solar

Looking for help

Redoubt9

I would like to buy and install a small minimalist system in my house for emergency use.

It can be stand alone. All I want to be able to do is run a refrigerator and a freezer for a long time if needed. I could run extension cords to these items in said emergency easily, house is small. Probably 48v if I can, simple easy to install and use all in one controller/inverter? Maybe 4 panels, a battery or bank, and a 1,000 to 1,500w wind generator.

Is anyone willing to help me.
1. What do I need or should get. Models best value etc.

2. Help with how to install?

Regards

run a refrigerator and a freezer for a long time if needed.
What is a long time?

Maybe 4 panels, a battery or bank, and a 1,000 to 1,500w wind generator.
Wind in 9.5/10 places is not a good spend.
Where are you located? You’ll need 15-20 mph steady winds regularly to maybe make this worthwhile.
48v if I can, simple easy to install and use all in one controller/inverter?
What are the daily watts used by fridge and freezer? You should plan some lights and a little headroom for radio/tv for emergency information.

The good reports of people dealing with watts247 says look there for panels and this unit has some advantages for your situation in that it will automagically and seamlessly switch over when power goes down and you can program it to run items from solar with minimal battery cycling or use solar power as a priority and pass-through grid power for ‘regular’ use after sundown and it has an onboard charger if you wish to charge without solar. Six of those linked panels are fairly inexpensive.

For a small system these items will handle your needs - batteries not included but they have those too.

I would like to buy and install a small minimalist system in my house for emergency use.
Welcome to the show Redoubt9, but naw, there's no help here. ;) Good help is hard to find.
Where are you ? USA, Antarctica, London?
Do you have a roof and or yard for panels?

This guy sounds like me a few months ago.

Gotta start with some math here. If you had said lights and TV, instead of refrigerator and freezer, I would have said that was a minimalist system. The problem is that frigs and freezers are NOT minimal loads, but rather amongst the larger loads (not largest). So, here's some math. Let's say you have a standard 18-20cuft refrigerator that uses 1.2-1.4kWh of electricity per day. A small 5cuft freezer uses about 0.6kWh of power per day. Let's also say you want a few hours of lights, and an hour of TV to watch the news about the power outage. Let's add that up.

Frig 1.4kWh (24/7)
Frez 0.6kWh (24/7)
Lights 0.2kWh (2-4 hours)
TV 0.2kWh (1-2hours)

Total 2.4kWh of power. Plan for a winter power outage. Assume you only get 2.5sunhours of solar in December. To make 2400Wh of power in December you need 2400Wh/2.5sh = 960W of panels. Very doable. I just bought 260W REC panels for 65$ each two Fridays ago. So, that's four of those, or 260$.

For the battery, you need at least 4.8kWh of power if you don't want to deplete the battery past 50%. At 24V that would be 4800Wh/24V= 200Ah. Golf-Cart batteries are commonly in that size. Costco is selling a 6V, 210Ah GC for 99$ plus core-charge. You'll need four to make 24V. This provides just 1 full day of power. You need a bigger battery if you want several days of service. Just multiply the battery Ah times the days needed.

Next you will need either a component combo of charge controller and inverter, or instead an AiO unit. You need sine-wave because of the frig/freezer's motors. You might go with with a Epever Tracer 4010AN and a Samlex 2000W inverter, or maybe a 24V MPP unit instead. You want at least 1500-2000W to handle the starting surges of the frig and freezer, which are likely to be 3-4X the running wattage.

I would forget about the wind generator. Anything large enough it power these kinds of loads is not the kind of windmill you are going to want to have in a residential area.

Back