diy solar

diy solar

Looking for light weight racking material to build my own racking system.

looks liked $35 for 10' stick of 12ga at home depot or lowes, up from $20 last time I checked, so about the same as most things post Biden...

I’m utilizing 60 cell panels, like 220 to 290 watt.
Rack is out of angle iron 2x2. 1-16” welded
Yes that is light and weak but will get the job done.
6 panels max out of 20’ sections
I had started with a larger design but it turned out too heavy to work with.
Panels are pinched in with self drilling tapping screws.
I will be able to move them to my roof when the time comes. They can seasonally be angled as needed with a hinged end and prop.

This will help them “stay home” if I travel or it gets windy.
As I’m off grid them being a size I can move around by myself was important

I’m utilizing 60 cell panels, like 220 to 290 watt.
Rack is out of angle iron 2x2. 1-16” welded
Yes that is light and weak but will get the job done.
6 panels max out of 20’ sections
I had started with a larger design but it turned out too heavy to work with.
Panels are pinched in with self drilling tapping screws.
I will be able to move them to my roof when the time comes. They can seasonally be angled as needed with a hinged end and prop.

This will help them “stay home” if I travel or it gets windy.
As I’m off grid them being a size I can move around by myself was important
Any photos of your array build?
I'm torn between wood and strut channel, just strut channel or angle iron as justification to buy a new welder ?

I like Unistrut (Home Depot) or the same thing Adamax (Lowe’s). And while you’re at it, if you don’t already have a good metal cutting circular saw, this is the excuse to get one. About 8 times faster than a sawzall type, cleaner cuts, straighter, 30X blade life and…… a lot more fun. Highly recommend the Milwaukee with Diablo metal blade.
As for construction, short diagonal corner braces are useless as seen in the front of the picture, but look closely at the center of the picture and you’ll a long one that reaches close to the upper corner and to the foot seen. If you do it this way you’ll need far fewer braces to make it stiff. Even if you have to make the braces longer with a four hole bracket do so. Use remnants this way too. This spray paint is a perfect match to paint cuts or if you weld, two years later it, difficult to tell what’s painted.IMG_0706.jpegIMG_0821.png
IMG_0822.jpegIMG_0823.jpeg

looks liked $35 for 10' stick of 12ga at home depot or lowes, up from $20 last time I checked, so about the same as most things post Biden...
Last time i checked i could get it at like $27/stick in the shorter 1-5/8 height and i will still do that for my design but i think anyplace i was using it as just a ‘stick’ and not doing anything with the channel aspect of it id probably use something else.

But this is a guy who built a small ‘skeleton bucket’ for a tractor out of mostly T-posts so my materials opinions are probably not to be trusted.

When I got my unistrut was mid Covid and I had to scan HD & L every day because it was always empty. I came up a few lengths short so I had to get some from Lowe’s. The electrical contractor supply houses were 3x the price because they knew it. HD was the lowest price because they had a pricing mistake. Now due to our wonderful economy it’s $35 for 10’ they were 18 (HD) and $24(L)

Last edited:
Back