diy solar

diy solar

Looking for mounting solutions for shingled roof and also the side of the house

maximus57

I am very much considering DIY solar, and am looking for rail mounting solutions for both a shingled roof, and the side of the house (current siding is cheap particle board of some sort). As much as I don't myself care how it looks, I don't want something that will leave rust stains. I am trying to cram as much as possible on the roof and side, and have calculated that the best way is to use 100w 40"x20" panels. This is going to require more rails than I wanted, but measurements have dictated that this is how I can get the most for the space while avoiding roof vents and side windows. Where do I start? What should I be looking/searching for? I know how to search online, but I am out of my element with this and could use some guidance. And one more thing, my roof is somewhat warped and not flat, so please keep that in mind (when I bought the house the inspector said it was likely built with wet lumber which caused it to warp). And yes, I am capable of doing this myself, as long as I can find the right information. Location is Michigan, so no hurricane wind requirements, but it must hold up to snow and ice.

I almost forgot to add that being DIY I am looking for relatively cheap but reliable methods, nothing that will break the bank.

And while I am at it, I also am wondering how to deal with the DC wiring on the roof. How does everyone secure it, just cable ties, or something like pvc conduit?

Last edited:
I've used Unirack and Iron Ridge. Both are great products that are tested and proven to be up to the task. They also are made of aluminum, so no rust stains.

Going with 100 watts panels is going to double or triple your racking cost!

I'd recommend going with larger panels.

Remember, you can move roof vents.

UV resistant zip ties to the rails or buy the metal retaining clips that can be purchased with the racking.

Going with 100 watts panels is going to double or triple your racking cost!
Yeah, I know. I am still in the research process for everything. And that is one reason I needed to ask this question, so I can figure out the cost. I am going through all sorts of ideas and options. This would be a huge commitment, my best ROI calculation is 15 years, maybe more like 20.

Back