diy solar

diy solar

Looking for Recommendations on What Wire to Buy for 160' from PV Panels to Battery

I spent most of the day yesterday reading user manuals and trying to get a handle on this. Most of the references I came across said that the loss would only be around 3% and that that would amount to if the normal charging is 4 hours then it would take 4 hours and 40 minutes. If I am wrong please correct me. I'm getting ready to hit the purchase button, but am sooo very new at this. Thank you. :)
If you can set up your solar array for 100v to 120v, you should be just under 3% voltage drop, with #8 wire.

I spent most of the day yesterday reading user manuals and trying to get a handle on this. Most of the references I came across said that the loss would only be around 3% and that that would amount to if the normal charging is 4 hours then it would take 4 hours and 40 minutes. If I am wrong please correct me. I'm getting ready to hit the purchase button, but am sooo very new at this. Thank you. :)
The bolded remarks above does not exactly instill confidence in what you're doing. There's some guys on here that know what they're doing. Listen to them.

From the user manual, The list of standard output voltage and frequency in 5 regions or countries. ●US Output: 120V/60Hz
The DC voltage of the solar panels to your solar charge controller has absolutely no relation at all with the AC output voltage of an inverter.

The benefit of high DC PV voltage for the long wire run is that you have lower amps and lower voltage drop allowing for smaller (cheaper) wire.

The DC voltage of the solar panels to your solar charge controller has absolutely no relation at all with the AC output voltage of an inverter.

The benefit of high DC PV voltage for the long wire run is that you have lower amps and lower voltage drop allowing for smaller (cheaper) wire.
yeah. that was the point (cheaper wire/lower voltage drop). :)

$7k for the Bluetti setup is a lot of coin. IMO, that amount of $ could buy considerably more. Wonder if anyone is local to the OP that could lend a hand???

That is so sweet of you to suggest this. However, with someone local there would be labor charges. I have learned through life and hard experience to ALWAYS & ONLY choose the highest quality or else you will pay more because you will end up buying poorer quality 4 times. High quality performance yields less headaches and hence your own/my own valuable time saved where I can be doing other productive work. High quality it the best investment for today with the faltering dollar value too. :)

$7k for the Bluetti setup is a lot of coin. IMO, that amount of $ could buy considerably more. Wonder if anyone is local to the OP that could lend a hand???
plus too if I can even start generating about $100 worth of my electricity monthly the unit will eventually pay for itself.

yeah. that was the point (cheaper wire/lower voltage drop). :)
So, you're going to install the Bluetti out at the solar panels and run 120v AC back to the house to attain the cheaper wire/lower voltage drop???

I have to agree. Those portable AIO setups are made to be generically convenient for stuff like camping and whatnot, but if this is for more of a permanent install for a residence, I would tend to think your money would be better spent on a system more tailored to your install... Likely getting better quality equipment and more for your $.

With a run like that, I'd be focused on looking for an inverter/SCC that can handle high DC voltage and panel/wire accordingly.

Please don't take this as being disrespectful, but one thing is certain... Based on the questions you're asking, I would highly suggest holding off on ordering or installing anything until you do a lot more research and have a better understanding of how all this stuff works and interacts. Pulling the trigger now will very likely result in disappointment and quite possibly damage to you or that expensive equipment. This is a case where you either need to do quite a bit more research, or bring in help (paid or not) to oversee everything from spec'ing out the equipment to installing it.

10awg would be fine assuming you do the max number of series panels that would stay under the max Voc (150V). I actually have a Bluetti AC200p with a ~125ft run to three 72 cell panels in series.

This is an intresting thread to watch from the sidelines..
J.

Back