diy solar

diy solar

Looking for simple/reliable 48V BMS (with balancing) suggestions

hipringles

Solar Enthusiast
It seems most good options are OOs right now (overkill, and a most JBDs on amazon/ebay). Does anyone have any good 100-150A 48V BMS options that is NOT a relay style like the chargery?

Also worth noting there will be DC loads, so shutoff signals to inverters won't work either (for low voltage protection)
Thanks

Would it be a correct assumption that you are looking for US stock not AliX / AliB

Any particular reason you're looking for a FET-based BMS?
I haven't heard great thing about relays based (see will's video linked above).

And a shutoff signal to inverter (like the electrodacus) wouldn't protect against low voltage DC loads.

If there is a non-fet option that could acomplish this, I am all ears (honestly) :)

It seems most good options are OOs right now (overkill, and a most JBDs on amazon/ebay). Does anyone have any good 100-150A 48V BMS options that is NOT a relay style like the chargery?

Also worth noting there will be DC loads, so shutoff signals to inverters won't work either (for low voltage protection)
Thanks
You have over 100 amps of dc loads?

Including inverter, yes, not including, it'd be at most 40? prob much less (20).

Could go small Fet for the DC, then a signal based for the inverter?
Get an overkill solar and yes use an ssr to control your inverter.
The rest of the system goes through the bms as normal.
I can help with the details as I have that setup.

I haven't heard great thing about relays based (see will's video linked above).

And a shutoff signal to inverter (like the electrodacus) wouldn't protect against low voltage DC loads.

If there is a non-fet option that could acomplish this, I am all ears (honestly) :)
Gotcha.

We use automotive-grade latching contactors and never see the issues Will mentioned in that video. It's my belief that the contactor he was using/given was sub-par. I have seen those models and although I have never heard bad things about them until now, the design and specs alone made me avoid them. I've specced/vetted quite a few brands and currently stick with Gigavav, Kilovac, Panasonic and NONCHN sealed contactors.

Get an overkill solar and yes use an ssr to control your inverter.
The rest of the system goes through the bms as normal.
I can help with the details as I have that setup.
Overkill 48 is out of stock with no eta on restock :( they were my go to choice. Thinking about a jbd off eBay instead currently

Gotcha.

We use automotive-grade latching contactors and never see the issues Will mentioned in that video. It's my belief that the contactor he was using/given was sub-par. I have seen those models and although I have never heard bad things about them until now, the design and specs alone made me avoid them. I've specced/vetted quite a few brands and currently stick with Gigavav, Kilovac, Panasonic and NONCHN sealed contactors.
What 16s bms would you pair with this? The chargery reviews are really mixed and the unit is overkill for what I need (simple, reliable)

My current go-to for low-cost installations is ZEVA. The BMS16V3 unless more cells are needed. The support is super, Ian (the owner) responds within 24 hours or less usually. Ships fast as well. Very easy to work with, accepts returns for failed/faulty units etc. The only downside is no APP or Bluetooth support, need to use the LCD.

EMUS is supposed to have a new 100A mini BMS (new generation) out soon designed for these types of applications. It has internal FETs for up to 100A but can also operate a contactor independently. Technically it is out but they are just ironing out the last few software/inverter integration issues.

Otherwise, I'm using REC and about to deploy Orion. Also have a Batrium unit we'll be testing at some point. I'm also in the process of vetting a Chinese FET unit for some applications.

Back