diy solar

diy solar

Looking for some advice on a 24v 280ah setup for trolling motor

Airbats801

Ive been thinking id like to convert over to lifepo4 for my 24v trolling motor in my fishing boat as the agms currently installed do not have the caoacity i need. Id like to keep the setup similar to my current setup which has a charger inside the battery box with protected ac outlet on the side that allows me to plug an extension cord in and charge it.

Ive been debating on how to go about doing the battery setup. Part of me wants to build a even 280ah setup, but i havent done enough research on a bms for it yet. Id like something that i can actually keep track of the power with my phone if possible.

I think my other option would be either getting some premade. Or possibly looking into a server rack battery.

I was looking to the overkillsolars 8s BMS 100a. Are there better options out there? Also, the charger should probably be at least ip66, there shouldnt be any water getting in, but its possible for some to leak in through the access door if i take a wave over the side.

In a nutshell, would love some recommendations on a charger, and bms, then possibly issues with diy cels.

Last edited:
Ive been thinking id like to convert over to lifepo4 for my 24v trolling motor in my fishing boat as the agms currently installed do not have the caoacity i need. Id like to keep the setup similar to my current setup which has a charger inside the battery box with protected ac outlet on the side that allows me to plug an extension cord in and charge it.

Ive been debating on how to go about doing the battery setup. Part of me wants to build a even 280ah setup, but i havent done enough research on a bms for it yet. Id like something that i can actually keep track of the power with my phone if possible.

I think my other option would be either getting some premade. Or possibly looking into a server rack battery.

I was looking to the overkillsolars 8s BMS 100a. Are there better options out there? Also, the charger should probably be at least ip66, there shouldnt be any water getting in, but its possible for some to leak in through the access door if i take a wave over the side.

In a nutshell, would love some recommendations on a charger, and bms, then possibly issues with diy cels.
Some are just keeping their AGM charger when they switch to lithium .... The lithium don't like to be held at high charge like the AGM, however, so you might have to adjust the way you charge if you currently leave it plugged in all the time.

Do you know the max current you will draw from the trolling motor?

Looking like the motorguide xi3 24v drawns 42 amp, but I may upgrade to a xi5 with 80lbs and its around 56amp, so not huge amp draw

I think right now im running the noco 3 mini 3 bank 12a, basically 4amp per bank, not very impressive now that I looked up the specs.

I've also debated on running 2 12v packs or 1 24v pack. I need to look at my battery area again when I get back into town and determine which will work the best. It was designed for 2 12v batteries so I may have to run a stacked set of 12v lifepo4

Looking like the motorguide xi3 24v drawns 42 amp, but I may upgrade to a xi5 with 80lbs and its around 56amp, so not huge amp draw

I think right now im running the noco 3 mini 3 bank 12a, basically 4amp per bank, not very impressive now that I looked up the specs.

I've also debated on running 2 12v packs or 1 24v pack. I need to look at my battery area again when I get back into town and determine which will work the best. It was designed for 2 12v batteries so I may have to run a stacked set of 12v lifepo4
Do you frequent BBC Boards forum? There is a REALLY long thread on there about lithium batteries.

This is my setup , 2x280ah with a ulterra 80 lbs and a 120 lbs (china) . trolling at 3m/h for 12 hr and still have 20 to 25% left

Attachments

• 68A04A6C-06A0-4FCB-B395-1B07F01FEA50.jpeg
    68A04A6C-06A0-4FCB-B395-1B07F01FEA50.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 19
  • A5169060-22AC-49FE-9C6C-E096AF959D7E.jpeg
    A5169060-22AC-49FE-9C6C-E096AF959D7E.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 19
Back