diy solar

diy solar

Looking For Some Guidance

PeteW

Well, it's happened.

All of this learn'n about solar has renewed my interest in Electronics and I've been bitten hard. I've been looking at online sources for beginner friendly simulated circuit building and testing and also a welcoming and beginner friendly electronics forum.

I've been searching on my own, but as far as the simulated circuit building apps, I haven't found a good one 9for me) yet. And truthfully probably wouldn't recognize one. So, then it occurred to me that maybe I should find a forum and ask there. Then it finally occurred to me that I belong to one! I've gotten such great help on this forum it finally came to me that maybe I should start here first. I'd prefer to find a free or at least inexpensive simulator. An online one is fine at this point. Also, if there are some welcoming electronics forums I'd be very interested in that as well as this one rightfully is more oriented to solar and alternative power.

If I need to move this question to another section please let me know.

From the Wiki here's what some users have recommended:

Circuits​

I use the falstad one for simple stuff.
svetz,
Thank you very much. I will definitely give these a look. Since I posted this thread I've done a bit of personal research and found one that looks promising, https://everycircuit.com/, It's online via Chrome and Firefox and it also has an android app. It's free to try but has a small price to join and be able to save schematics.

All of this learn'n about solar has renewed my interest in Electronics and I've been bitten hard
Me too but from a different perspective. Troubleshooting long dead appliances. There are no schematics, manuals only refers to board replacement. Being charged $450 for a $30 board! I won't buy an appliance with electronics ever again. They're dead in the garage while the 1960's appliances do the work. Probably a 5¢ diode.
Sure, my 40 year old furnace uses a little more fuel but it doesn't cost >$4000 replacing it every 10 years.

Last edited:
LTSpice
It is free to install and run. It lets you save schematics and results.

It's free, and has models already installed for many Analog Devices components (including their acquisitions such as Linear Technology)
You can install models for others as well.

It is extensively used in professional electronics design work. Switching power supply circuits can be simulated using it.

I've found that if I try to add parasitic capacitance to inductors (passives have parameters for parasitics), or include passive impedance components in power supply of op-amps, then it may fail to converge in calculations, so no results are produced.

Me too but from a different perspective. Troubleshooting long dead appliances. There are no schematics, manuals only refers to board replacement. Being charged $450 for a $30 board! I won't buy an appliance with electronics ever again. They're dead in the garage while the 1960's appliances do the work. Probably a 5¢ diode.
Sure, my 40 year old furnace uses a little more fuel but it doesn't cost >$4000 replacing it every 10 years.
I know what you mean. I certainly go that route with my washing machine and dryer. I have older units that I can maintenance and repair.
LTSpice
It is free to install and run. It lets you save schematics and results.

Thanks,
I'll take a look at it.
Most of these apps are pretty sophisticated for me I'm just a novice. The ones I've been able to use, I have to watch a few tutorials just to get the hang of them. If I can't find those or understand them I just move on.
I've found that if I try to add parasitic capacitance to inductors (passives have parameters for parasitics), or include passive impedance components in power supply of op-amps, then it may fail to converge in calculations, so no results are produced.
It will definitely be awhile before I have that problem, if ever. Hahaha

Most of these apps are pretty sophisticated for me I'm just a novice. The ones I've been able to use, I have to watch a few tutorials just to get the hang of them. If I can't find those or understand them I just move on.

It will definitely be awhile before I have that problem, if ever. Hahaha

LTSpice is trivial to use, at least for the most basic simulation and plotting of V(xxx) or I(xxx) from list of available signals.
I had to Google to see again how to plot power.

LTSpice example.jpg

It is this sort of stuff I'm trying to do, and struggling to get and confirm a model matches bench measurements
This is supposed to be my field and advanced degree?
My ideal SPICE models said ideal transformers were fantastic. In reality some worked better than others. Trying to get a model which will correlate to the application, so need it to correlate to test conditions.

Hedges,

I kind of get what you are struggling with and I hope your way becomes clear. :)

Thanks for the help you've given me.

Pete

Last edited:
Back