diy solar

diy solar

looking for some input on a system build trailer mounted

chadjones99

chadjones LLC
Hello, I'm building a support system and need / would like some input . Hers the back store I need supplement support system for 2 other systems.
I want to build a system inside my enclosed car hauler ( trailer ) that can be used as I need to support 2 other systems .
1) system 1 is a off grid cabin in the Colorado mountains and sees cold winters It has a existing 2 kw solar panel set up with a old outback 3648 ( or 3048 ) inverter and a large battery bank ( cant remember those details as I'm not there and my parents live there ) ( they have been using golf cart 6 volt battery's for years ( lead acid ) and just went to a 8 volt ( in series ) golf cart battery ( a year ago ) I think they have 6 rows of 6 ?) 48 volt system ,Anyway they get by fine and only have to run a generator to support a deep water well once a week or when we visit and suck down to much power (LOL) and the rest of the time they get by on battery / solar / and small wind gen .
2) system 2 is my large RV that we are going to park on the same property ( so I can start taking care of them as they are now getting elderly ) My system ( not built completely ,but will be this summer ) is a 12 volt system ( I know I should have bought 48 volt ) I have 500 AH Lifepo4 of brand ( chins and a few other ) battery's
And 3 x 185 panels & ( thanks to Will I got a some used panels from watching one of his videos from a warehouse in AZ ) 4 x 250 watt ( waiting to go on ) panels .
So there's the back store , here is where I need help I want to build a system that will go on my car hauler so I can 1 use it to support ( inverter output ) into my Rv to basically support any topping off and 2 instead of running the generator for the well once or twice a week. I would like to build it as a stand alone system .
here are my thought on the car hauler trailer system.
1 or 2 - 48 volt server rack battery's and was think of the trophy battery as it has built in heater and the trailer is not insulated
I am going to pick up anther 2kw panels from AZ warehouse , but i am struggle on a inverter choice . I like the grow watt but have watched a few videos where people had a 5kw grow-watt that would not start a well pump , and it should but I think its because on the split phase grow watts they use 2 inverters inside , so its not like you have 1 big 5 kw inverter its 2.5 kw per leg ( 220 volt ) which is not enough . I will say this ,my dads outback 3048 ( or 3648 I forget ) will run the well pump ( the output of the outback goes through a outback 120 to 220 split phase transformer ) but the problem is his golf cart battery cant support it longer than about 15 mins ( max ) with his solar set up and we need to run it for about 45 mins or longer to pump up the tanks
So I need help picking out a inverter that can support this well pump ( its a deep well , like 850 ft , no pressure tank just a holding tank so that helps ) I need a inverter that can kick start this pump and I would like 220 output so I do not have to use the step up transformer , although I can. ( or I can buy another transformer if the inverter is cheap enough )
would be great if it was a all in one so I don't have to buy more charge controllers etc , and also one that has a high PV voltage input . I would like to string as many panels as I can in a series and keep the wire small. And when I am visiting I can use the power from the trailer to simulate my RV being plugged in a outlet, my loads in the RV wont go over 3kw as I will not need the AC, just gas heat and TV, microwave and 110 volt RV dryer .
thanks for the INFO
Chad

Last edited:
was looking at this one :

Growatt 8kW Split Phase Off-Grid Inverter | SPF 8000T DVM​

I figure if its 8kw thats 4kw per phase ???

or :

Delicaquao Split Phase Solar Inverter 48V 6kW 120/240V Built-in Low Frequency Transformer Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Solar Charge Controller for Home Business Factory​

Brand: delicaquao

Back