diy solar

diy solar

Looking for suggestions for a BMS

jlanders

Hi All,

Fairly new to Soloar and lithium batteries and looking for some BMS suggestions.
I currently have 32 Eve 304ah 3.2v Lifepo4 cells. This is for a marine application. The system is a 12v system. I currently have these configured in a 4P4S2P configuration to give me two large 12 batteries, each battery at 12.8v 1216ah. Total would be 2432ah 12.8v. If I am doing my math correctly.

I do have a REC-BMS in a Master / Slave configuration. So this would work out to 16 cells per slave with a master providing oversight for both slaves.

I continue to have issues with this REC-BMS system with the whole system rebooting frequently. I am beginning to question first the BMS and wondering if there is a better BMS solution that can handle this configuration as well as integrate into my Victron electrons. I am also beginning to wonder if there is a better battery configuration that would give me as much 12v capacity as possible but more manageable with a BMS system that will be more stable and provide better visibility and metrics.

Does anyone have thoughts on this.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I would have recommended the REC as the most suitable BMS for that application.

If you can’t resolve why the system is “rebooting” (not sure exactly what is happening here), you can rearrange to have each BMS monitor a pack independently, adding additional contactors for the second pack to disconnect from charge/load as required.

I have set up many REC systems, but have no experience with master/slave configs.

There was another user on this forum that was having issues, i believe he eventually got the system working correctly.

It is designed for an external contactor with an economizer circuit such as the Tyco EV 200 series with a 500 amp rating. It can also be used with latching relays with a small add-on device, but we do not recommend that solution as it is not failsafe

Back