diy solar

diy solar

Looking for wiring assistance with GROWATT SPF 6000T DVM

D. Abineri

I am trying to wire this inverter which is off grid and using the 240v input from the grid, and the 240V output and need someone who has such a system up and running currently. I have 15 250W panels connected in 3s5p which are producing about 100v at about 35 amp.

1. Where do I connect the ground coming from the PV panel frames?

2. Can I run the 240v output to a sub-panel with both 240v and 120v breakers to be used by various circuits in the house?

3, What does it mean to balance the split phase loads and how is this done?

Many thanks for any assistance (new to solar).

Dave

1) I would connect the pv frames to a ground rod and also to the pv outside disconnect like shown in this video

2) Yes, also done in above video

3) Your breaker box has two sides, or two legs (two different metal plates interweaving with eachother but not touching). Using a double pole breaker fed by the AC output on your inverter you will be putting 120v on each plate creating a 240v panel. Any double pole breaker you add to this panel will also be touching both plates and will put out 240v. Any singe breakers will put out 120v. You want to evenly distribute your loads (breakers) from the two plates in the breaker box.

If I understand correctly, the spf can output 240v that is not split phase as well as two phases of 120v that equal 240v. Typically, in the US we use split phase 120v which can equal 240v if using both phases of 120v.

Balance the load. Try to equalize the load in relation to the other phase of 120v. Like a weight scale. 1000 watts on this phase of 120v, then 1000watts of load on the other phase of 120v.

spf6000dvm on the wall. Waiting on some small things to finish the install. Six 250watt panels on temporary ground mounts until the price of lumber decreases enough to start the permanent ground mount with 3s7p 255watt panels.

Grounding ... for now, my solar system will be completely separate from the grid. It has its own 8' grounding rod. Does the GW bond neutral and ground? Does it lift the bond when switching from one source to another? IDK. SigSolar says " ... to my knowledge there is no Growatt inverter with an internal ground neutral bond ... ", but this may be bogus aka GW spf3000tl-lvm. growatt spf3000 bonding

I have one up and running since last September. For now it's only connected to the grid and acts as a UPS. I have all the critical loads in a regular split phase sub panel which is most of the house except things like the electric range, washer and dryer, dishwasher, and electric baseboard heat which I don't use anyway. The only place the neutral and ground are bonded is in the main panel, they are separate in the sub panel. I just took delivery of ten 335 watt panels last week and ordered Unistrut yesterday to put them on a ground mount. I haven't decided on how I want to ground the panels yet, will probably drive a ground rod at the panel location and ground them there. See nosense in bringing a potential lightning discharge in to the house.

I have one up and running since last September. For now it's only connected to the grid and acts as a UPS. I have all the critical loads in a regular split phase sub panel which is most of the house except things like the electric range, washer and dryer, dishwasher, and electric baseboard heat which I don't use anyway. The only place the neutral and ground are bonded is in the main panel, they are separate in the sub panel. I just took delivery of ten 335 watt panels last week and ordered Unistrut yesterday to put them on a ground mount. I haven't decided on how I want to ground the panels yet, will probably drive a ground rod at the panel location and ground them there. See nosense in bringing a potential lightning discharge in to the house.
When wiring ac input from grid to the GW; did you use L1+ L2 and ground, or L1+L2 and neutral, or just L1+L2?

I used three wires coming from my main panel to the growatts ac input. Two hots and another one coming from the main panel's ground/neutral bus bar.

Let's see if I got this correct.

If the GW is fed from the main service panel where there is an n/g bond, n/g is the same; L1+L2+n/g.
If the GW is fed from a branch panel where neutral and ground are separate, use ground; L1+L2+g.
or
Two hots from the grid since the GW doesn't require a neutral input.

Kornfusing ...
1646582332579.png

Both L1 and L2 are connected. The Neutral is also connected to the common Neutral bus bar in the sub panel. The ground is connected to the ground bus in the main panel

Hello,

I thought to piggy back on this post as my question is similar in nature.

I've a NEMA 14-50R wired in my sub panel which I've used for connecting my Champion Generator 240V output in back feeding my home using a cable identical to the one pictured below. Except that it has a 14-50P on both ends also known as a suicide cable for obvious reasons.

At any rate I'm unsure how to wire this to my Growatts output. Any guidance is appreciated.

If the picture is hard to see, the cable colors are;
black = L1
red = L2
white = Neutral
green = Ground

My understanding is that black(L1) would go to Growatt Hot 1, red(L2) would go to Growatt Hot 2, white would go to Growatt N and green would go to ground which is next to the AC input Hot 2?

Attachments

• NEMA14-50P.png
    NEMA14-50P.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back