diy solar

diy solar

Looking to make/buy Y-cord to allow switching power source

DurkaDurka

Hey folks. I'm not sure how to find this, but I'm looking to buy/make a Y-cable that accepts 120V input from an AC outlet and my inverter. The single output would be the load. The inputs/output would be a NEMA 5 (corded) outlet. I need a "BBM" (break-before-make) switch on it that will switch between the two sources. It only needs to support 15A @ 120V. It will plug into a UPS, so I can't disable the load side.

The "problem" I'm having is I don't want to unplug and plug my load into my solar setup (which uses a heavy duty extension cord) when the batteries get low. I also don't want an ATS. I could buy cheap inline corded AC switches and put one on each input, but then I'd have to be very careful to kill one side, then enable the other. Accidentally enabling both switches could be a hazard. Looking for a safer solution.

Ideas?

I'm also looking to use this switch (I just bought an On-off-on one from Ebay) to toggle between two sources to my 4-circuit Reliance transfer switch. I've put one of those in my garage (from the circuit with the lights/radio) to power it from an Ecoflow vs Grid, and it worked fine.

A DPDT center off switch will do what you want. They are common.

Back