diy solar

diy solar

Looking to power IR illuminators for cameras. DIY option vs repurposing a cheap Amazon solar light?

EvanVanVan

As the topic states, I'm looking to power an IR Illuminator (the biggest for instance, https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR130-198-Outdoor-300-400ft-Illuminator/dp/B004F9LF7E) for ~12 hours at night. I was going to order a $15 "Bionic Spotlight" I had seen an infomercial for an try to swap out the LEDs for IR LEDs, before I saw Amazon had other small solar dusk-till-dawn options. For instance, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S5HK3T9/. The battery appears to be part of the solar panel which is good, I'm assuming I could modify the cord/plug and just use an external illuminator. But looking at the specs it doesn't look like it would really be enough power output for the large illuminator I linked, it might work on some smaller ones. At these price points though I'm also wondering how long they could really last or what the quality would be.

I know nothing about this but figured I'd look into getting my own solar panel, battery, controller, etc. and at least see what it would cost (Or if there are any decent quality all-in-one solar/battery solutions?). I was assuming I would get separate solar lights for the 2-3 IR illuminators I need but if going the DIY route I can run wire between all of them if it makes more sense for the small loads with a large enough battery. The distances are not right next to each other, but within a couple hundred feet. FYI, this will be used outside in Vermont, I read one Amazon review warning against charging the battery in freezing temperatures.

Thank you

Last edited:
Assuming you want to cover an area with a camera and record video, you will probably be better off using a starlight capable camera and skipping the IR.
It's easy to flood an area with IR then end up with a washed out view by reflections and even light fog is enough to render the camera unusable when the IR is too bright.
The low light cameras have made HUGE improvements over the past few years, that is where I would start.

If you still want IR illumination, then think about motion triggering the IR and camera, it would save you from needing to run everything but the motion sensors and cut down on the battery requirements.

Yeah, I'm looking for additional IR illumination I'm addition to my 5442 starlight cameras. Don't get me wrong they are great, but I'd like a little more distance from the IR for a couple of the cameras as well as preventing IR reflection on snow and rain.

And yeah, right now I'm kind of considering all sorts options. Still trying to figure out what would be best lol

Back