diy solar

diy solar

Looking to set up 1 system for power for both my Subaru Outback and E-bike that can be taken on a bike trailer. I have 2 e-bikes that are 500 wh

cyclingdiva11

I am brand new at this solar stuff. Thanks for your patience, I have seen posts about ebikes, and none specifically focused on dual purpose.

I am looking to set up 1 system to power for both my Subaru Outback for car camping and E-bike that can be taken on a bike trailer. I have 2 e-bikes that are 500 wh. I can tow up to 100 lbs on the ebike trailer. Weight is not an issue with the Subaru. I'd like to have 1 system that I can move between the vehicle and ebike trailer. I am looking to build a system that will last at least 10 years. I can mount solar panels on both the roof of my Subaru and the rack on my Burley Nomad trailer.

For powering the Subaru, my needs include: charging ebike batteries (2), lights, laptop, cell phones/ tablets, fan, and possible small cooler / fridge.

I have been looking at Jackery 1000 or 1500 as a comparison, but I would prefer my system to be LifePO4 so it lasts with many uses, and to spend less money than Jackery.

Where do you suggest I begin without breaking the bank.

Last edited:
I can start you with some math and you can add to it as you sort out the unknowns.

500wh bike *2 = 1000wh (energy you need to make/store) / 5hrs of sun = 200w of solar.

add in the watts of the other stuff you want to add to the system and you can do the same math. You can likely get what you need done with something like 300-400w of solar. perhaps double that if you want a e-cooler.

You could likely strap a single full size rigid 400w panel to a roof rack on the outback. but not much is going to work for the bike trailer. flexible fold up panels exist but they are inefficient and expensive. (however could be your only option depending on your requirements)

Last edited:
I can start you with some math and you can add to it as you sort out the unknowns.

500wh bike *2 = 1000wh (energy you need to make/store) / 5hrs of sun = 200w of solar.

add in the watts of the other stuff you want to add to the system and you can do the same math. You can likely get what you need done with something like 300-400w of solar. perhaps double that if you want a e-cooler.

You could likely strap a single full size rigid 400w panel to a roof rack on the outback. but not much is going to work for the bike trailer. flexible fold up panels exist but they are inefficient and expensive. (however could be your only option depending on your requirements)
Thanks for your response @schmism! If I forget about the trailer and realize I want to charge 2 x 500 W batteries (1000 watts). What size generator should I be looking for to take on my trips in the Subaru? I am looking at Bluetti and Ecoflow, as well as the possibility of building my own. I may also need to charge a laptop and cell phone during trips. I am not sure how to do these calculations and appreciate any help. I am new here and to the solar portable charging area.

Back