diy solar

diy solar

Lots of cylindrical cells vs big prismatic cells?

SolarMinerPH

What would be the pros and cons of having lots of paralleled 32650s to get 102ah vs 1 100ah prismatic cell?

I am planning on building a 48v 100ah battery.

I made some calculations and I will need 272 pieces of 32650s to build a 48v 100ah battery vs just 16 pieces of prismatic cells.

Pros of the prismatic is it is much simpler and easier to build.
Cons of the prismatic is it is more expensive

Pros of the cylindrical cells is It is $220 cheaper
Cons needs more work to build.

To other experienced users out there can you please add more pros or cons like why I shouldn't build my battery out of cylindrical cells and vice versa. I already googled and I did not find much info about this one.

I planned on building using cylindrical cells before that is why I bought a spot welder a few years ago when 18650s is still the rage but then bigger prismatic cells are now widely available which makes it so much easier to build a battery. But I can potentially save $440 usd if I went with the cylindrical 200ah setup. Is the $440 worth spending on bigger prismatic cells?

Did you factor in costs for frames and welding material, etc for the cylindrical cells?

Another thought is cylindrical cells will give you more points of failure. If you maintain it though, those points of failure will be much cheaper compared to when a prismatic cell fails.

The prismatic cells last longer (on average double) than the cylindrical ones, the advantages of the cylindrical ones are summarized in the possible installation position that does not create any problem

What would be the pros and cons of having lots of paralleled 32650s to get 102ah vs 1 100ah prismatic cell?

I am planning on building a 48v 100ah battery.

I made some calculations and I will need 272 pieces of 32650s to build a 48v 100ah battery vs just 16 pieces of prismatic cells.

Pros of the prismatic is it is much simpler and easier to build.
Cons of the prismatic is it is more expensive

Pros of the cylindrical cells is It is $220 cheaper
Cons needs more work to build.

To other experienced users out there can you please add more pros or cons like why I shouldn't build my battery out of cylindrical cells and vice versa. I already googled and I did not find much info about this one.

I planned on building using cylindrical cells before that is why I bought a spot welder a few years ago when 18650s is still the rage but then bigger prismatic cells are now widely available which makes it so much easier to build a battery. But I can potentially save $440 usd if I went with the cylindrical 200ah setup. Is the $440 worth spending on bigger prismatic cells?
Im in the Same Dilema.
I decided to go with 32650. It gives me much more flexibility to build different pack sizes and voltages.
Also, Now Im able to get 6C discharge from 32650. A Far cry for Prismatic. And Cheaper (two ways): Price cheaper, including accessories. Qty Cheaper, Because dont need so many for high Discharge.

Back