diy solar

diy solar

Lots of random power station brands on amazon - are they "all the same"?

lostinabox

Just looking through random power stations on amazon, it seems that a lot of them, bluetti included, are just white label products. While that by itself isn't necessarily an issue is there really any good way to compare them? Can't trust the reviews, my guess is that they hire an english speaker to write them with some seo thrown in for good measure. I sure don't have the funds to throw at these to see what works. But on the other hand as this market has had time to mature then these manufacturers should have a pretty good idea of what people expect. A guy I sometimes watch on youtube (and who doesn't seem to be a shill) recently reviewed one of these random ones that he couldn't even pronounce and was happy with it.

So with the exception of a few brands known to come up with their own products, are they basically all the same?

Last edited:
For example Jackery and Goal Zero are real brands.

Many brands are relabeled chinese products and can be find on Alibaba for less money.

You'll find you can purchase large quantity of products from some manufacturers on Alibaba with the option to rebrand it to whatever you like.

In fact there are plenty of portable power stations (aka solar generators) on Amazon/webstores that are shipped in standard brown boxes with almost no branding on them whatsoever. If you liaise with the seller you'll be surprised to know they have little knowledge on the product itself. Sad really.

Techman

Just looking through random power stations on amazon, it seems that a lot of them, bluetti included, are just white label products. While that by itself isn't necessarily an issue is there really any good way to compare them? Can't trust the reviews, my guess is that they hire an english speaker to write them with some seo thrown in for good measure. I sure don't have the funds to throw at these to see what works. But on the other hand as this market has time to mature then these manufacturers should have a pretty good idea of what people expect. A guy I sometimes watch on youtube (and who doesn't seem to be a shill) recently reviewed one of these random ones that he couldn't even pronounce and was happy with it.

So with the exception of a few brands known to come up with their own products, are they basically all the same?
Unfortunately it is often the case that if you buy two units from these guys with the exact same branding, they’re not the exact same thing. These manufacturers of “generic” units change parts and values as supply changes, and you just never know. You might get one and love it, buy another and it dies in a week.

Watch Will’s videos on them. He does a more thorough job of testing than most.

In the end, buying blind is like swinging for a piñata. Even if you hit it, everyone else gets more out of it than you do. You’re better off buying a known brand from someone you can return it to or who will help if you have problems. I’m not much on gambling with my money, especially with the crazy-high failure rate on some of this gear.

When it comes to buying something that has the potential to burn down your house, go with a well-known brand.

Note that some seem to be almost “white label” products that are actually licensing a known brand like Duracell or Westinghouse. I don’t know if those are any good or not.

Reactions: Ely
oddly, hunting through alibaba and aliexpress, you can find some "whitelabel" brands with unbranded which are either clones or the chinese source product prelabelled. Example, GZ Light-a-life (chainable light) seen on GZ site at 20-30 USD, identical nonGZ box unit at 7USD which is either a cheapy clone (which will burn the house down) or its the supplier selling (never seen any unbranded GZ powerstation kit or panels). My worry is how efficient the unknown kit is bearing in mind they are generic.

Back