diy solar

diy solar

Lots of wind in Ireland with Lifepo4 battery bank

Greenan_Energy

So I live off grid in Ireland and hoping to add a 500W wind turbine to get me through the winter in Ireland. I'm just looking to get some advise on things to look out for incase I damage my Lifepo4 batteries. So a here are a few questions I'd like to ask wh:
1. DC or AC , WHICH IS LESS PROBLEMATIC?
2. Once the power has gone through a wind charge controller is it OK to then bring the output of the charge controller straight to the battery.
3. Other than a shunt resister for full battery, is there an other components needed.

Thanks you in advance.

Last edited:
Check out mwands.com

Practically turn-key kits:

Videos, podcasts, writeups:
Somebody in France using his kit: https://mwands.com/blog/mwands-blog/post/mica-s-wind-turbine-in-france

His videos are kind of a challenge to watch, he has practically zero skill at making videos, but if you can get past the production quality, the content is superior. He has been doing small wind turbines for 4 decades I think, so yea, even in "not very" windy places, turbines work.

All wind turbines start out A/C and get rectified to D/C. Keep the power A/C until the cable is where it can be rectified into DC.

Cheap junk that says they are DC is simply lying. Avoid them.

From what I gather, if you have an MPPT charge controller you are in the very best situation, 48V is the best way to go, 24V is ok, and 12V is for kids (simply not an efficient use of cables).

Just this Friday I asked them to size me a 4000w setup for one of my MPPT inputs on my MPP Solar LV5048.

Last edited:
Back