diy solar

diy solar

Low Amp Backup grid power: have equipment; opinions wanted

12VoltInstalls

life passes by too quickly to not live in freedom
A fun little experiment I did.
Information and setting first, questions at bottom.

In a slightly hijacked conversation we were having
That sound good I’ve been thinking about some thing similar .
maybe some thing like this could work ?
It’s says it can take 108 to 124v ?
about atypical backup power using a fairly long run distance but reasonably low amperage I mentioned a thing I was going to try. Applicable to this subforum I think.

Having covid put those experiments on hold a month. Am better and got to it today.

First was the adjustable battery charger. (pic #1) A brand I’d never heard of and I cobbled it backfeeding my bluesea 12V breaker box before I had gotten really sick- and thankfully so as I needed the supplement charge badly.
This has held me at 12.8 - 13.2V overnights and cloudy days depending on how I set it. The fan is variable speed depending on load but has that quiet yet annoying battery charger fan sound.

While it bothers my head to use a 8” wide battery charger for a power supply it’s performed very well for me. Not one issue, never gets hot, and it won’t boil batteries because it’s continuously variable adjustable for both volts and amps.

Today I wired up the second test power supply: a small 15A RV converter labeled as a “smart charger.” I was most interested in hearing the fan as I was confident in the output based on the little battery charger’s performance. And it certainly will power my loads and charge the batteries. (pic #2)

While it is labeled 15A it’s way past that. I’m 8ga from the batteries but as is typical of me I fused less lower. Since the 12V fuse box will never see over 15A I had it fused with a 20A. I used a 30A for the backfeed wire from the converter. It promptly blew the 20A, replaced with 30A and blew both of those. 40A did fine…
As I sit here the Thor has been chugging away at about 28A for a half hour while the temporary 12ga thhn I used to test are not too hot to touch but extremely warm- at 28A they would be!

I’m not impressed. I liked the idea of a more robust power supply / charger but this thing is not trustworthy if it’s cranking out twice the rated amps. What else isn’t right?!

I overwire stuff so it was going to get 8ga welding cable. However, I was going to switch it through a lo/hi relay voltage controller rated for 10A/125VAC and I really don’t feel comfortable with it being higher output than its rating. 15A woukd have been fine with me!

1) which would you choose for a permanent solution?
2) am I being to worried over using that battery charger as a switched, permanent solution
(that probably won’t even be needed by like March or April)
3) is the automatic smart charging feature of the Thor converter at 14.6V max really any better than the adjustable battery charger? (that can go to 18V if I want)

. . Thanks

Attachments

• 9EE273E4-BB13-4451-A30E-A7F4568FE58D.jpeg
    9EE273E4-BB13-4451-A30E-A7F4568FE58D.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 2
  • CC49C231-67E7-4A91-B68D-BE04B035FDCB.jpeg
    CC49C231-67E7-4A91-B68D-BE04B035FDCB.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
That tough to figure .
I think they could both work in a pinch .
I think I would use #1 you never know if or when you are going to have a melt down
A unit pushing twice it rated power could go any where from there
Sounds like some thing that is worth a try

think I would use #1 you never know if or when you are going to have a melt down

Yes. It seems that way. Was looking for other minds because often people think of things I don’t.

Interestingly unit#1 is set at 12.9V and the sun just left the clouds (ok, the clouds opened up) and I heard the charger fan ramp down to off. It had been displaying ~2.1A but I looked up to see amps go to zero as the fan shut off.
UNIT #1 may be a perfect voltage controller and low-amp charging device!

I’m sad though. The RV converter is very well made looking and has the power. I wanted it to work. But the 10A voltage controller relay is too close for comfort and I’m not confident with it outputting above its rating.

Unit #1 however doesn’t even need the controller. I’d just not seen it do that yet and I’m pumped on that. I may use the controller anyway because if the batteries drop to 12.3 and the sun comes out it’ll charge them fine. At 12.2 turn on the charger and off at 12.8 or 12.9 optimizes solar and won’t hurt the batteries. I’m 13.7V and 14.1A into the batteries with the high ice haze. Perfect!

If you did similar with your setup in winter I think you’d be fine. Just need a higher-amp 48V charger with voltage control.

I’m going to use the iota 48volt charger not inverter and try it .
I could run it off the generator if my plan dosent work .
It 1200 here and it looks like I could cut the fog with a knife
bad solar day . Going to start the Honda ?

Back