diy solar

diy solar

Low power 48volt inverter.

saggys

Looking for a low power 48 volt inverter that also has low idle current. Largest load is 960 watt well pump. Victron Phoenix 1200/48 is an option. Also Outback APCU 2648A AIO as it has an ATS and charger built in.
This is to replace my used Exeltech XP1100 that I used 3 times and now has no output. I know its fixable, but I do not trust it now. I am running on our Trace PS2512 that is 20 years old and has not skipped a beat the last 8 years we have owned it.

Looking for a low power 48 volt inverter that also has low idle current. Largest load is 960 watt well pump. Victron Phoenix 1200/48 is an option. Also Outback APCU 2648A AIO as it has an ATS and charger built in.
This is to replace my used Exeltech XP1100 that I used 3 times and now has no output. I know its fixable, but I do not trust it now. I am running on our Trace PS2512 that is 20 years old and has not skipped a beat the last 8 years we have owned it.

What's the surge of the well pump? Most pumps use 5X their run current for surge meaning you'll likely need to supply close to 5000W.

The only exception I know of is the Grundfos SQ line with built-in soft start.

You are correct, Grundfos SQ series pump, so it ramps with little or no surge.

Yes, have been since well drilled, 7-8 years ago. It is a very easy load to drive. Wish I would have went with the 120 volt model. We have the 240 volt model and used an auto transformer but it was a parasitic load, I now have it on the load side of the pressure switch and that works fine.

Yes, have been since well drilled, 7-8 years ago. It is a very easy load to drive. Wish I would have went with the 120 volt model. We have the 240 volt model and used an auto transformer but it was a parasitic load, I now have it on the load side of the pressure switch and that works fine.
thanks for this. I am considering the 110v model.

The Phoenix 1200 does look like a nice little inverter. But the spec sheet calls out 850 watts at 40c
How's the weather there?

It is in our new power shed that will be heated in the winter. It is shaded in the summer, so the hottest I witnessed this summer was low 80's F.
Good catch on the de rating.

The other concern I have is how does one do a code compliant install with the small Victron inverter? Even the Exeltech has a wiring compartment and can be AC hardwired.

I don't think you can, most Victron equipment is not listed to the correct UL standard for home installation.

I believe that is UL 1741

I don't think you can, most Victron equipment is not listed to the correct UL standard for home installation.

I believe that is UL 1741
Yeah, the Phoenix line of small inverters only has a few that are UL listed, for land vehicles and marine crafts, UL 458, they are the ones with GFCI outlets on them.

Victron Certificate

Outback Power has some older 1500 watt inverter chargers but are not current production. The Outback APCU 2648A has also been discontinued, so I would end up with an orphan product.
It would be great if a manufacturer would make such a product. I may have to move up to a higher power inverter.

I can't be too down on Exeltech, I pulled it from our telecom room fall of 21, it has been running 24/7 365 since sometime in 2007! I am debating if I should send it in and have the electrolytic caps freshened up and refurbed. I have next to nothing into it.

No need for 240 volt as my well is powered by an auto transformer on the load side of the pressure switch. Thanks, will look into Samlex model suggested.

Cotek is very similar to Samlex at a slightly lower price point.

No idea about UL listing.

Here are some choices :

Thanks, I also contacted Exeltech and they said a $100 flat rate repair, no charge for if it cannot be repaired, so I may take that route as an interim and to have a spare after I decide which inverter to go with.

Back