diy solar

diy solar

Low Temp Cutoff Question

Many BMS's that have added low temp charge prevention have an issue on how it is implemented.

It is very easy to add the firmware to disable the series MOSFET of the back-to-back MOSFET pairs that are responsible for passing charging current.

Problem with doing this is the turned off MOSFET's body diode is then carrying the discharge current which adds voltage drop and heating during discharge. In this condition the maximum discharge rate can only be relatively low current rate or the BMS will get too hot.

To fix this, the firmware detects when the discharge current through the current shunt resistors is too great to be handled through the MOSFET body diode (greater than about 5 amps) and reactivates the MOSFET responsible for carrying charge current so the discharge current can be normal BMS rated current.

If low discharge current, or a charging current condition reoccurs, it shuts down the MOSFET responsible for charging again, going back to carrying discharge current through the MOSFET body diode.

Most BMS MOSFET gate drive is low current driving strength. This means turn off and turn on time is relatively slow, a few milliseconds. In addition, the current sensor's ADC must read and interpret the current. All this takes a little time which can set up an oscillation problem in the control feedback loop.

Oscillation can occur when a secondary charger, like PV SCC, and/or inverter load variations, are such that thrashing charging and moderate discharging currents is impressed on battery when it is in low temp charge prevention mode. It will show up as sporadic short charging periods at cold temps.

Greetings all!

I was looking at a cheaper 100ah Amazon lithium iron phosphate battery and it doesn't have low temp cutoff. The battery will be used to power the trolling motors on my small boat.

Can you somehow rig up low temp cutoff with only the Victron Smart Shunt and its temperature sensor? I don't think this is possible but not 100% sure.

My other thought was to provide an alternate source of power to a Solar Controller, but not confident in my abilities to this.

Any feedback, thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.
stlwx21 have you decided on a battery for your boat yet? I am also in the market for an ~100ah battery for my canoe trolling motor.

One problem with a device to shut of a charger at low temperature is that if it turns back on before tha battery warms up enough you haven’t solved anything. Depending on the location of the battery it might take many days for a cold battery battery to warm up inside unless the temperatures around it are way above freezing.
EXACTLY! Unless the temperature is being read at the battery....or better yet, between cells, the temp might rise, the charging starts, and the batteries are still frozen.......Especially if the batteries are inside some insulated box or in the shade.......You must read the temperature RIGHT AT THE BATTERY. This is one reason a BMS mounted low temperature probe is not a good idea!

right now BattleBorn and SOK are $799 and $560 for 100ah with full everything protection. The $200 premium over a $350 non protected battery might be the best $200 you ever spent.....

stlwx21 have you decided on a battery for your boat yet? I am also in the market for an ~100ah battery for my canoe trolling motor.

I ordered a Zooms battery for $320 bucks. It’ll get here tomorrow. The battery will remain in my garage until it’s time to go fishing.

I ordered a Zooms battery for $320 bucks. It’ll get here tomorrow. The battery will remain in my garage until it’s time to go fishing.
Exactly what I was thinking of doing, but with the Ampere Time. Any reason you went with Zooms?

I currently have a NONO Genius 5amp charger. It has a lithium setting but I wonder if it would take ages to charge that thing..

Exactly what I was thinking of doing, but with the Ampere Time. Any reason you went with Zooms?

I currently have a NONO Genius 5amp charger. It has a lithium setting but I wonder if it would take ages to charge that thing..

Zooms = Ampere Time = Chins. They are the same battery but rebranded.

That charger will work. I have a 15 amp hour victron IP65 charger.

Zooms = Ampere Time = Chins. They are the same battery but rebranded.

That charger will work. I have a 15 amp hour victron IP65 charger.
I'll likely only be charging in the house or garage, so I don't think I would need an IP65 rated charger. I'll likely go with the Cheapest of the three then.

My 206 ah SOKs dont have low temp protection so a solution from forum members would be helpful for others as well.
The SOK batteries have a BMS with low temperature cutoff.

Check out this guy's simple and inexpensive solution. Just a 12v thermostat and relay.

Back