diy solar

diy solar

Low Temperature Disconnect Protection using Victron Smartshunt 500A?

dgallen

I've got a new travel trailer that I'm replacing the Lead Acid Battery with the latest Moseworth 12V 120Ah LifePro4 battery. I'm also swapping out the current trailer battery charger to a Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV 12V Lithium Ion Battery Converter/Charger. My concern is that I'm not getting consistent responses from the seller whether the battery has low temperature disconnect. For my solar panels I can simply disconnect them when below zero, but I'm worried that my PD9160AL may try and charge the battery when connected to shore power and the outside temperature is below zero. Would a Victron Smartshunt 500A have the capability to disconnect the charge from the 9160 to the battery if I set up some alarm or parameters via the bluetooth app using its' temperature sensor? If yes, can I still use and discharge the battery the other direction? Is there another more elegant or cheaper solution other than moving the battery inside the trailer?

Last edited:
Would a Victron Smartshunt 500A have the capability to disconnect
The smart shunt does not have a relay to control other parts of the system. The smart shunt can communicate to other Victron products. An alternative to the smart shunt, the Victron BMV712, does have low power relay and with the optional temperature sensor can control other chargers.

My solution to the problem was to add a low cost mechanical thermostat to enable/disable chargers. This is available in the UK, I expect similar product to be available anywhere it gets cold.

Mike

Thanks for this. The Victron is certainly a sticker shock for my basic needs. The mechanical thermostat approach is certainly an option. I may in the end need to just move the battery inside the trailer where I can maintain the temperature of the battery with the inside room temperature provided by the propane furnace.

Back