diy solar

diy solar

Low Temperature disconnect.

2vans

Unfortunately I brought a Daley bms and have now realised that there is no low outside temperature disconnect to stop charging.
Is there anything else I can add to rectify the problem.
Many thanks

The Victron smart solar charger controllers with a connected smart battery sense have a low temp cut-off option for protecting Lithium cells.

How much charge current do you have? It might be possible to find a snap disc temp disconnect .... something like this one ... but it's reset temp is pretty high and only handles 10A.

If you could find a low volt DC one model like that and not even high amp, it could control a Relay provided it could take the relay requirement. The relay could be for as many amps as needed.

Thanks guys I think if I could find a 12 volt version of the snap thermostat then i could use a victron battery protect and connect it to the remote connection. One of these

Thanks guys I think if I could find a 12 volt version of the snap thermostat then i could use a victron battery protect and connect it to the remote connection. One of these
The thermostat?
  • Rated 10A@120V, 5A @ 240V
It's just an electromechanical switch. It shouldn't have any trouble with 12VDC pilot duty to control a relay.
Only higher voltage or current would be a problem.
You could put a series RC across its contacts to prevent arcing from relay coil.

Thanks guys I think if I could find a 12 volt version of the snap thermostat then i could use a victron battery protect and connect it to the remote connection.

Victron also sells a 'Smart Shunt' monitor which has an aux port on it you could attach a temp probe to.

"The SmartShunt is equipped with Bluetooth, a VE.Direct port and a connection that can be used for: monitoring a second battery, midpoint monitoring or a temperature sensor."

Back