diy solar

diy solar

LP280Nn Batteries / Docan

RoySalisbury

I got my first shipment of batteries form Docan yesterday. Very excited to start building my banks. However I noticed a few things when I started getting them ready.

1). Apparently they sent me the LP230Nn (additional lowercase n) stock. These are the ones WITHOUT welded studs. I guess this is fine. I might even prefer it in the long run. Who knows.
2). They come with the bus bars that bent in the middle and have heat shrink on them. I presume this is for cell expansion so "fixing" them (compression) is not as much of an issue and the cells can expand a bit without the posts having stress on them. They also fix between the cells but on the long and short sides when connecting them.
3). They were charged to 3.29v, but just barely ... meaning that to top balance them each cell took about 160amp (less then 1/3 initial charge).. Running them at 3.65 @ 40amp took about 4.50 hours (CC until amps were 2.95). I've seen others that went down to 1, 0.1 or even 0.0 amps, but I figured 2.95 was where the cells where at least 99.99% full. And I will let the BMS finish off the cycle.

Now for the bad...

So far, out of the 16 I have inspected, one cell actually DID NOT have any threads in the terminal for the stud to thread into. Kinda of an odd thing. I've got an email off to Docan about it and will see what they say. Seems sending this one back for exchange would be pretty expensive given shipping costs, so will be interesting to see there suggestion. I know I can just find the right tap size and do it myself, but thats a pretty bad customer support request. It's "technically" a defective cell and should be replaced.

So far I have finished the initial top balance on 17 of the 32 cells. I have used a 24v charger to get a set of them "charged" (5 hours for 4), and then use my 3.2/40amp battery tester to "top" them off (now only takes about 30 min per cell). And while I am topping off the individual cells, I can put another set of 4 on the 24v charger.

I'll eventually load test 2 or 3 at random just to see the capacity, but I'm confident they will be between 228-235 ... close enough.

Roy

Last edited:
Back