diy solar

diy solar

LTO cells on Batteryhookup.com

I could be wrong but here's how I see it: First of all it takes five wired in series just to produce 12v @ 20aH and another five wired in series then paralleled with the former to produce 12v @ 40aH. Or wire them all in series to produce 2.4v @ 200aH. Or buy 10 for 10 @ $125 per, and wire them up to get 12v @ 200aH. $1250 for 200ah??? Are you kidding?

Secondly, the money that Battery Hook-Up is asking for the batteries suggests that they are used. The price suggesting that they're used while hype suggests they're new is confusing if not outright deceptive.

Last but not least. LTO batteries are not recommended for home use. Will knows LTO batteries; he has tested LTO batteries; and if you ask him, I don't think he'd recommend them for home use either.

Note: the voltage in my first point is based on the nominal voltage of an LTO battery. If that stat isn't bad enough, a bank of 5 LTO's at their optimal voltage is only 13v and bank of six, 15.6v. Adding their 10c discharge rate to the equation makes LTO batteries best suited for eBikes, eBoards and such. Worst thing that can happen in those situations would be someone's butt catching on fire or their shoes blown off.

I could be wrong but here's how I see it: First of all it takes five wired in series just to produce 12v @ 20aH and another five wired in series then paralleled with the former to produce 12v @ 40aH. Or wire them all in series to produce 2.4v @ 200aH. Or buy 10 for 10 @ $125 per, and wire them up to get 12v @ 200aH. $1250 for 200ah??? Are you kidding?

Secondly, the money that Battery Hook-Up is asking for the batteries suggests that they are used. The price suggesting that they're used while hype suggests they're new is confusing if not outright deceptive.

Last but not least. LTO batteries are not recommended for home use. Will knows LTO batteries; he has tested LTO batteries; and if you ask him, I don't think he'd recommend them for home use either.

Note: the voltage in my first point is based on the nominal voltage of an LTO battery. If that stat isn't bad enough, a bank of 5 LTO's at their optimal voltage is only 13v and bank of six, 15.6v. Adding their 10c discharge rate to the equation makes LTO batteries best suited for eBikes, eBoards and such. Worst thing that can happen in those situations would be someone's butt catching on fire or their shoes blown off.
These cells are definitely used I don't think they ever claimed to be new. Yes these are more expensive than Calb or Sinopoly but they do have benefits. Such as lifespan and less temperature restrictions. There is no perfect battery including these but the price they are asking for these is reasonable for someone who wishes to try something different.

Can you clarify why they are not recommended for home use? They are considered one of the safest lithium chemistries, being non-flammable and non-explosive. The only reason I thought Will hasn't recommended them was price. LFP is cheaper. @Will Prowse , care to jump in?

EDIT: I did bump into this video where he doesn't like the discharge efficiency of 85%. I would like to try 11S for 24V with an inverter that can go down to 20V (LV2424). You can't do 5.5S for 12V, but you can do 11S with 24V. It is a bit unfair to try to test usable capacity with 5S or 6S.

Last edited:
I have those battery hook up cells in my lab. Just waiting for lto BMS that should be here this week.

And lto is interesting. Pros and cons. I like lfp better for solar but depends on your intended application. Great for low temp charging.

I have those battery hook up cells in my lab. Just waiting for lto BMS that should be here this week.

And lto is interesting. Pros and cons. I like lfp better for solar but depends on your intended application. Great for low temp charging.
What is low temp range for charging? Everywhere I look, I see operating temp to -30C or lower, but nothing mentioning charging temp.

They can be charged down to -40 or even -50 in some spec sheets
That is a butt huge plus. Bye bye AGM. You add the ability to take a beating on the float, and you have the perfect all weather UPS as well as highly cycled storage.

That is a butt huge plus. Bye bye AGM. You add the ability to take a beating on the float, and you have the perfect all weather UPS as well as highly cycled storage.
This is my reasoning exactly. How many questions on thus forum pertain to low temp charging?

I figured out why I wanted 12s it's because I thought I was going to use them down to 1.6 volts not 1.9 as we talked about yesterday.

This is my reasoning exactly. How many questions on thus forum pertain to low temp charging?

I figured out why I wanted 12s it's because I thought I was going to use them down to 1.6 volts not 1.9 as we talked about yesterday.
Why you didn't measure over 2.49V? The claims are putting their top between 2.65 and 3V. We need a good picture of the high end, too.

How are you collecting data down to the 0.01V?

Why you didn't measure over 2.49V? The claims are putting their top between 2.65 and 3V. We need a good picture of the high end, too.

How are you collecting data down to the 0.01V?
The 2.49 is the drop under load they all start at about 2.75. I take a voltage and amp reading every 15 seconds.

I think these were a good deal if you can make them work for your application. 10 cells for $125.

I wonder if the built in BMS killed these or? Batteryhookup.com now seems to have a number of modules with "one dead cell". Making me want to avoid. I ordered a prebuilt 24v 50ah LTO pack out of China I am still waiting for...

I've got 4 packs of the 'original' LTO modules that went for $125. All the cells look balanced and fine. I'm waiting for my Daly charge controller. 2 of the modules look brand new and 2 show some use. Do you know if your 24v pack is 10s or 11s?

Back