diy solar

diy solar

Luyuan / Amy - Type 66 & 71 in matched set?

MrPhoton

RE: Luyuan Concerns - Are these Serial Numbers consistent with Grade A Factory Matching (attached)

I truly hope I am wrong here - but I've purchased 8x Eve 280N from Amy/Luyuan and 8x EVE 105AH cells as well. I paid a surcharge for the premise of GRADE A full factory matching - and relied heavily on the apparent trust of respected posters on this forum.

From a serialization perspective - might one with greater knowledge in this space than I clarify if it is possible that these first 8 serials (see JPG) - could be factory Grade A matched from a common manufacturing cycle? I noticed 2x 66 and 6 x 71 ?

A few other notes about my order:
1. Asked about LK280K in July. Was told by Amy that they were "specialty" (can share screenshot). Today - the same Alibaba Part Listing in my pending order shows now as LK280K's - and says not to blend K's with N's.

2. Non-Responsive Periods by Amy. 2-weeks after hearing my goods were with Forwarder - I asked for a Port Arrival Date (ballparking). Amy did not respond for 1-week. I asked again - and asked is there something wrong. 1-week thereafter (2-weeks from request, and 1-month from forwarder date) - I was told port date of August 29. Now compare rapid <24h responses throughout with these types of delays - and add reverse the math for the shipping window - and I'm wondering if the non-responsiveness was because she knew it wasn't on the boat yet. Conjecture here - but admittedly- my impression of Amy took a 180 from this episode.

3. 66 vs 71 Type Serial Numbers = Factory Matched? Another thread about 66 and 71 which unfortunately turned volatile --- but made me have a look at my serial numbers again. Am I interpreting these serials correctly. Is it plausible that these were factory Grade A set ?

I've done my share of trading in SE Asia - having lived in the region for a decade. If I didn't ask the right questions - so be it - I guess its cheap tuition. But I'm genuinely interested in understanding if I'm getting what I paid for - or being deceived here.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Luyuan-batts-1.JPG
    Luyuan-batts-1.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 72
Saw this screenshot from another DIY post... According to this my "Factory Matched Grade A" set of 8 includes
2 cells that are Type 66.. manufactured on 2 separate dates (ACH and ACG) . Then 6 cells on Type 71 Manufactured on B3D and B3E.

The 105 x 8 are then all Type 65 B5S and B5R.

I'm at least partially comforted by B3D and B3E proximity and B5S and B5R proximity. I'm confused as why Type 66 280AH are being mixed in (are they even N ?)

Still hoping someone is going to tell me that I have this wrong here. While I'm still expecting to enjoy the cells when they ultimately arrive -- admittedly my ego feels bruised. Happy I did a smaller test run of 8 x 280 an 8 x105.

Side Note - before ordering - I'd had a few conversations with EVE directly - and even at container level - they're prices were well above the ranges I paid.

My invoice is clear on the "280N" - and if I understand correctly - the 2x 66 are not the N series at all. I've asked Amy for clarity on this as at face value - I'm wondering if/why #2 of the 8 280AH set appear to be 1.5 year old stock of a different part # (no N). All this in conspicuous proximity to being told the "K" series is "specialty" - and the listing changing from "K" from "N".

Wondering if they were trying to dump 2x old 2020 stock...

Attachments

• eve-serial-decode1.JPG
    eve-serial-decode1.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
RE: Luyuan Concerns - Are these Serial Numbers consistent with Grade A Factory Matching (attached)

I truly hope I am wrong here - but I've purchased 8x Eve 280N from Amy/Luyuan and 8x EVE 105AH cells as well. I paid a surcharge for the premise of GRADE A full factory matching - and relied heavily on the apparent trust of respected posters on this forum.

From a serialization perspective - might one with greater knowledge in this space than I clarify if it is possible that these first 8 serials (see JPG) - could be factory Grade A matched from a common manufacturing cycle? I noticed 2x 66 and 6 x 71 ?

Looks pretty clear to me that two of those 280AH cells are LF280 and the others LF280N. I'll bet the ISO code confirms when they arrive. In what way would those cells be factory matched referencing different specifications? I suppose it could be but I'd be expecting the obvious answer until it was proved otherwise.

A few other notes about my order:
1. Asked about LK280K in July. Was told by Amy that they were "specialty" (can share screenshot). Today - the same Alibaba Part Listing in my pending order shows now as LK280K's - and says not to blend K's with N's.

2. Non-Responsive Periods by Amy. 2-weeks after hearing my goods were with Forwarder - I asked for a Port Arrival Date (ballparking). Amy did not respond for 1-week. I asked again - and asked is there something wrong. 1-week thereafter (2-weeks from request, and 1-month from forwarder date) - I was told port date of August 29. Now compare rapid <24h responses throughout with these types of delays - and add reverse the math for the shipping window - and I'm wondering if the non-responsiveness was because she knew it wasn't on the boat yet. Conjecture here - but admittedly- my impression of Amy took a 180 from this episode.

3. 66 vs 71 Type Serial Numbers = Factory Matched? Another thread about 66 and 71 which unfortunately turned volatile --- but made me have a look at my serial numbers again. Am I interpreting these serials correctly. Is it plausible that these were factory Grade A set ?

I've done my share of trading in SE Asia - having lived in the region for a decade. If I didn't ask the right questions - so be it - I guess its cheap tuition. But I'm genuinely interested in understanding if I'm getting what I paid for - or being deceived here.

Any advice would be appreciated.
When are you due to receive this order?

I will be VERY interested to see pictures of the cells, the boxes, and their QR codes.

I'm at least partially comforted by B3D and B3E proximity and B5S and B5R proximity. I'm confused as why Type 66 280AH are being mixed in (are they even N ?)
No they can't be. It's possible the cells are matched however they have different model numbers. If Amy had a bunch of "66's" laying around then she should be selling those separately from the 71's and at a discount.

I am curious to hear what Amy has to say about this.

Asked about LK280K in July. Was told by Amy that they were "specialty" (can share screenshot). Today - the same Alibaba Part Listing in my pending order shows now as LK280K's - and says not to blend K's with N's.
As far as we know EVE stopped production of the LF280N and started production of the LF280K. I am not sure of the exact dates but the reply you received from Amy was the end of June according to your screenshot. When did Amy start selling the LF280K?

As far as what your pending order shows, clarification is needed from Amy. I don't know why N's and K's can't be mixed but the terminals on the K's are closer to the edge, and I think the K has a slightly higher height. I think EVE would be the best source to find out if the K and the N can be mixed.

Please keep us updated. It's great you are trying to get to the bottom of this so others can be cautious at this point. If paying a premium I sure want to know exactly what I am getting and expect matched cells by model number and capacity.

No they can't be. It's possible the cells are matched however they have different model numbers. If Amy had a bunch of "66's" laying around then she should be selling those separately from the 71's and at a discount.

I am curious to hear what Amy has to say about this.

Amy says -
Amy-not-understand-66.JPG

I really don't understand how a person who made a point of noting the NEW 280N (Type 71) versus the OLD LK280 2020 (Type 66) -- and who now makes a point of emphasizing the LK280K (Type 76) --- suddenly doesn't seem to understand that Type 66 is NOT LK280N. All while my Alibaba Order is very very clear in notes on LK280N being ordered.

To help Jog the Memory - I've sent her EVE specifications for LK280N (showing the Type 71 reference diagram in Serial) and the 280K specification from EVE (showing the 76 serial reference). Will be interesting to see if the tone changes.

Obviously I'm displeased at the notion of paying over $120/cell for super special Factory Grade A sorting of LK280N - only to find 2 of the 8 cell bin to not even be the right model numbers - rather than the age. To your point - it wreaks of trying to lay-off old inventory on me - especially if the K is a different size.

As far as we know EVE stopped production of the LF280N and started production of the LF280K. I am not sure of the exact dates but the reply you received from Amy was the end of June according to your screenshot. When did Amy start selling the LF280K?

As far as what your pending order shows, clarification is needed from Amy. I don't know why N's and K's can't be mixed but the terminals on the K's are closer to the edge, and I think the K has a slightly higher height. I think EVE would be the best source to find out if the K and the N can be mixed.

Please keep us updated. It's great you are trying to get to the bottom of this so others can be cautious at this point. If paying a premium I sure want to know exactly what I am getting and expect matched cells by model number and capacity.
Not sure when Amy started. EVE put out a joint Press Release with UL earlier this year on the K. Amy edited the LK280N listing I had - and then changed it to be the LK280K - as opposed to creating new Alibaba product listings.

Also attaching EVE Product Specification Screenshots for Type 71 (N) vs Type 76 (K)...

EVE-280N-is-Type71.JPG
EVE-280K-is-Type76.JPG
Clearly EVE says Production Date is in Serial Number.... but Amy on the other hand says:
Amy-prod-date-not-in-serial.JPG

Attachments

• Amy-prod-date-not-in-serial.JPG
    Amy-prod-date-not-in-serial.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 15
@MrPhoton When do you expect to receive these cells?
Guessing within 2 weeks. I'll take photos of QR's (assuming that's your next question).

I've also inquired with Auditor at EVE to trace the serial numbers in question and advice of Specification # and Manufacturing Date.

Perhaps, I should have paid more for EVE Direct sample order to EVE to see the pretty EVE sticker and not had to waste time and frustration here. The stress and time invested here is simply not cost effective - but that's past tense now. Now it's general principals as well. I'll keep board posted as I learn more.

If EVE auditor takes too long - I'll leverage a contact to reach out to their C-suite. I doubt this will prove necessary as EVE would have a vested interest in not having these things things reflect on their brand. More to come.

Obviously I'm displeased at the notion of paying over $120/cell for super special Factory Grade A sorting of LK280N - only to find 2 of the 8 cell bin to not even be the right model numbers - rather than the age. To your point - it wreaks of trying to lay-off old inventory on me - especially if the K is a different size.

I suspect if you order an odd number that doesn't fit into their 16 cell groups you will get this sort of thing. Just for amusement I graphed the stated capacity of my 34 cells just received. The two "extras" are pretty clear outliers.

I'll leave it up to others to consider if the 2 16 cell bins I received are "fully matched", "factory matched", "binned" or whatever.

1630367116360.png

This next chart shows a previous order for 4 cells on the same scale.

1630367722460.png

I had to buy my cells in 3 separate orders due to extra import duties. When it came time to ship the 2nd order i was told the 1st batch was N but now will be K. Orders are spread by 2 weeks so would have happily waited that long to keep all the cells the same. 8xN cells don't have much use to me.

@MrPhoton ...... It seems to me that you should be reserving your outrage til you actually get the cells and know what you have.

@HighVolt ..... I was under the impression that when ordering from Amy, you could either order the cells as grade a new cells .... or pay a premium to get the cells matched. I think Amy calls them commodity cells if the premium is not paid to get matched cells.

Is that a correct assumption? Did you pay a premium to get matched cells?

Last edited:
@HighVolt ..... I was under the impression that when ordering from Amy, you could either order the cells as grade a new cells .... or pay a premium to get the cells matched.
Is that a correct assumption? Did you pay a premium to get matched cells?
I have never heard about any cheap cells. All quotes have been for matched cells.

I have never heard about any cheap cells. All quotes have been for matched cells.
I you look at the first post where Amy introduces herself, she indicates that cells can be either "commodity" cells or extra for matched cells.

I you look at the first post where Amy introduces herself, she indicates that cells can be either "commodity" cells or extra for matched cells.

I'm just going by what Amy and i have discussed. I have paid the premium price.

Dear Mr. Bob - Would it be possible for you to allow us to focus on the core matter of this thread?

You have 27 posts that reference Amy/Luyuan - and many are positive. Yet - you stated a few days ago - you've never ordered from her.

Yet you jumped in many many times into a closed thread about her in last few days. Now are you attempting to steer this one away from it's topic.

Are we allowed to Ask Critical Questions about this Supplier???

Please good sir.... humbly, allow us to focus on the core topic. I've alerted @Will as to my deep concerns here already. He's big on transparency - we should all follow in that spirit!

Dear Mr. Bob - Would it be possible for you to allow us to focus on the core matter of this thread?

You have 27 posts that reference Amy/Luyuan - and many are positive. Yet - you stated a few days ago - you've never ordered from her.

Yet you jumped in many many times into a closed thread about her in last few days. Now are you attempting to steer this one away from it's topic.

Are we allowed to Ask Critical Questions about this Supplier???

Please good sir.... humbly, allow us to focus on the core topic. I've alerted @Will as to my deep concerns here already. He's big on transparency - we should all follow in that spirit!
I don't know how you could take my comments and try to insinuate they are re-directing the conversation.

We always want to know as many details as possible. I have asked you when you will get your cells and if you can post pictures .... seems to me that should increase your evidence.
I have asked HighVolt if he paid the premium to get matched an batched cells.

Both of those questions seem totally relevant to the conversation .... and now I am wondering why you don't like answering simple questions.

Guessing within 2 weeks. I'll take photos of QR's (assuming that's your next question).

I've also inquired with Auditor at EVE to trace the serial numbers in question and advice of Specification # and Manufacturing Date.

Perhaps, I should have paid more for EVE Direct sample order to EVE to see the pretty EVE sticker and not had to waste time and frustration here. The stress and time invested here is simply not cost effective - but that's past tense now. Now it's general principals as well. I'll keep board posted as I learn more.

If EVE auditor takes too long - I'll leverage a contact to reach out to their C-suite. I doubt this will prove necessary as EVE would have a vested interest in not having these things things reflect on their brand. More to come.
How can you contact this "auditor"? I wrote to EVE USA and didn't get a reply. Trying to confirm LF280 was still being produced at least until end of 2020. My date codes run from ACD (mostly) to ACG. Thanks

@MrPhoton ...... It seems to me that you should be reserving your outrage til you actually get the cells and know what you have.
Well here's the thing. Everyone is supposed to know what they are getting before cells are shipped. It doesn't always work out that way as we are very well aware... :) Amy has been touted as a respected and trusted supplier...also by yours truly...me, myself and I. If things are changing with Amy for whatever reason I think we would all like to know.

The test sheet has two 66's and six 71's. If I had spent that amount of cash for matched cells I would like to know what's up with that...wouldn't you? Since MrPhoton is trying to get to the bottom of this let's see what develops. No harm no foul. To be fair, I don't feel any outrage at this point in time in this thread. I understand the concerns. Hopefully everyone will remain civil so this thread remains open and someone will get answers from Amy as she is the only one who can clear things up.

My order data from Amy. Grade A matched cells. new "k" cell. seems good to me , but Im not a expert...

Attachments

• amy cell.png
    amy cell.png
    263.6 KB · Views: 53
Back