diy solar

diy solar

LV 24 PIP won’t supply continuous output for certain appliances.

tcparris2

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get advice on why I my Inverter LV 24v PIP won’t supply continuous output for certain appliances. My phone charger, coffee maker, and small fan won’t work. They will blink power on and off for some reason? My temporary solution is to turn on my light at which point my coffee maker and phone will charge so long as the other appliance, I.e the light. is on. I am planning on wiring a 12v outlet for charging for efficiencies sake but still I have to turn on another appliance first to be able to make coffee or run a small fan which is wasteful.

Any ideas? Do I need to change hertz or voltage settings on my PIP? Could it be a grounding issue? Maybe continuity? Seems fine with a multimeter just not a continuous flow but pulsating with the aforementioned appliances.

Thanks in advance

Taylor

Could you clarify - are you pulling your power from the 120v output of the PIP and then converting that to 12v? or do you have a 12v tap directly off your batteries or other?

It sounds like the PIP inverter/output is periodically checking for load but is not detecting 'enough of a load' to run continuously so it turns off to save 'idle power drain'. When you turn the lights on it gets the the level where it senses enough of a load to run continuously. Didn't know PIP had this kind of functionality - so I'm not sure of my diagnosis.

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get advice on why I my Inverter LV 24v PIP won’t supply continuous output for certain appliances. My phone charger, coffee maker, and small fan won’t work. They will blink power on and off for some reason? My temporary solution is to turn on my light at which point my coffee maker and phone will charge so long as the other appliance, I.e the light. is on. I am planning on wiring a 12v outlet for charging for efficiencies sake but still I have to turn on another appliance first to be able to make coffee or run a small fan which is wasteful.

Any ideas? Do I need to change hertz or voltage settings on my PIP? Could it be a grounding issue? Maybe continuity? Seems fine with a multimeter just not a continuous flow but pulsating with the aforementioned appliances.

Thanks in advance

Taylor
You need to look at your settings, there is a setting for standby mode and you have it enabled. It would be less standby draw and would ensure the inverter kicks on with small loads if you install a remote manual switch.

Basically, a small load is not enough to kick on the inverter from standby mode. When you add larger items, the inverter wakes up.

You need to look at your settings, there is a setting for standby mode and you have it enabled. It would be less standby draw and would ensure the inverter kicks on with small loads if you install a remote manual switch.

Basically, a small load is not enough to kick on the inverter from standby mode. When you add larger items, the inverter wakes up.
Ok thanks I’ll try that!

Could you clarify - are you pulling your power from the 120v output of the PIP and then converting that to 12v? or do you have a 12v tap directly off your batteries or other?

It sounds like the PIP inverter/output is periodically checking for load but is not detecting 'enough of a load' to run continuously so it turns off to save 'idle power drain'. When you turn the lights on it gets the the level where it senses enough of a load to run continuously. Didn't know PIP had this kind of functionality - so I'm not sure of my diagnosis.
It was the PIP setting 4. I’m pulling power from 120v output of PIP. I do have a 24v down to 12V converter for 12v appliances that I’ll wire a 12v receptacle to for 12v appliances. Everything except my fantastic fan is running off the 120v for now unfortunately.
Working great after that setting change :)

Back