diy solar

diy solar

LV2424 not showing correct watts? On my 2nd unit...

Alkaline

Solar Wizard
Watt calculation issue with LV2424, this is my 2nd unit and both appear to be exhibiting the same issue:

Its a small setup with 2x 280 watt LG panels that have 38.8 voc, 8.6 amps and about 31 volts when connected. In series these panels create about 60 volts and 5.6 amps when lying flat on the roof, when directly under sunlight the amps increase to 8.6. so About 300 watts on average.

I have also tried experimenting them in parallel, where the voltage is 31.6 volts and total amps are 10.7 Again about 300 watts on average.

The issue is with the Lv2424 and its watt ratings, when in series, it shows 55 volts and 5 amps, this should be 270 watts, however the PV rating only shows 145 watts. Makes no sense its ignoring its own ratings, watts = volts x amps

In parallel its even worse, it shows 30 volts and 5 amps and then pv watts as 135 watts. Its as if it ignores the additional amps in the parallel setup.

How does the LV2424 calculate PV watts? Is there a cap on the amps it will send to the battery?

THe battery setup is a 8s 280ah LIFEPO4.

It doesn't sound like your issue, but once you're in the absorption phase of charging (constant voltage), you're voltage limited, so you may charge with far less power than is available.

A way to test this is to activate enough loads to exceed your total panel power. This should force the array to produce maximum power - whatever it happens to be for the conditions.

One would presume the PV power would be the array power independent of whether it's charging or providing power for loads, but I don't have one of these units.

You can specify the maximum charge current in the setup, so if that's low, it could also throttle charging.

max charge is set to 60 amps, its no where near full, batt voltage is 26.5 volts, the settings for full are 28 volts, float is 27 volts, and cut-off is 23 volts.

Are you feeding anything else? I believe the KW rating is only what is going to the batteries which would be total power - AC load - inverter load.

I have the hybrid model so I am not sure the settings are the same, but what are your #5, #11, and #13 settings?

#1 Output source priority = UE1 Utility First (I have tried all 3 mods, SOL, SBU and UEI it doesn't make a difference)
#5 Battery type = USE
#11 Max utility Charge = 40A
#13 Voltage Point Back when is SBU priority or Solar First Mode = 28.0 Volts

Hrm... how many watts does the LV2424 use when charging? 100-150 watts? If its using this than that explains my lack of power as it would be consuming half of the power from the solar panels by itself. While sending the rest to the batteries.

Thats assuming the 145 watts it sees is what is left over after it has used the amount it needs to run.

Mine uses about 50w, but again I have the hybrid. Your setting order is completely different.

What are your Settings for #2? I would set #11 at 2A since you are not using utility anyway.

Back