diy solar

diy solar

lv5048 inverter to utility panel

KBurns

Hi, I have a lv5048 and would like to use it only with batteries for right now. I may add solar panels at a later date. I'd like to have it set to have the batteries automatically take over when utility power goes down.

So, my question is, how to wire the lv5048 inverter to my utility panel?

I though about doing similar set up, from my research, I think you need a transfer switch secondary panel to the main home panel or use interlock kit plus a "generator 30A power inlet box" then you plug in the AC out power cord from your inverter to the inlet box. I guess same set up as gas generator but you connect your inverter instead. Something like this video:

Thanks for the reply.

If went the generator route, I would probably do something like this video, but I'm stuck with batteries.

The lv5048 inverter has a transfer switch within, so I'm looking for a diagram using the inverter to the main panel. I guess I'll be able to set it through the settings to automatically go to battery power in case the grid goes down. Even on the video you show here, it doesn't show the hookup from the transfer switch to the main.

The transfer switch in the MPP LV5048 is a "dry contact" meant to signal an electric start generator capable of auto starting to start . This isnt meant to power a service panel in place of power outage.
You would need a transfer or interlock switch at the service panel you wish to energize. This prevents the inverter power from feeding the grid lines to the house and potentially killing a line worker.

The least expensive and simplest way for main panel for DIY is to instal a 240v breaker of about 20 to 30 amps and a generator interlock switch. When the power goes out just slide interlock over and turn the inverter breaker on.
You can have a separate "critical loads panel" and connect the inverter to it and it will power it without interruption on UPS mode in the setup menu with other appropriate programming but you still cannot wire in such a way as to Backfeed the grid.

The transfer switch in the MPP LV5048 is a "dry contact" meant to signal an electric start generator capable of auto starting to start . This isnt meant to power a service panel in place of power outage.
You would need a transfer or interlock switch at the service panel you wish to energize. This prevents the inverter power from feeding the grid lines to the house and potentially killing a line worker.

The least expensive and simplest way for main panel for DIY is to instal a 240v breaker of about 20 to 30 amps and a generator interlock switch. When the power goes out just slide interlock over and turn the inverter breaker on.
You can have a separate "critical loads panel" and connect the inverter to it and it will power it without interruption on UPS mode in the setup menu with other appropriate programming but you still cannot wire in such a way as to Backfeed the grid.
I have the LV5048 system wired exactly as you described. I have a separate critical load panel and a manual interlock switch on the main. Works great!

Back