diy solar

diy solar

LV6548 AC IN Reverse Polarity Question & Concern

Sparc343

So, I'm not even entirely sure where I should post this thread (so if a mod feels it should be moved, please do) probably because I'm slightly freakin' out right now.

Main question is: What would/could happen to an LV6548 if you connected an improperly wired (reverse polarity [hot and neutral switched]) AC connection to the AC input?

So I picked up an LV6548 to initially run off just PV during the day (saving up for batteries). Have been using it for a little while now already for this purpose and in this manner just fine. When I went to show it to a friend and "test" out ("play with") the AC input/bypass, it made a really odd sound (buzzing or humming would be the best I could explain it) but seemed to have been outputting AC... Not too sure because the sound was too nasty for me to allow it to continue while I grabbed my multi-meter to analyze anything... We were able to fairly quickly get everything shut down/disconnected. Long story short, After performing "tests" on his outlet, it appears that the HOT/LINE and NEUTRAL were Switched!

I got the unit back home and plugged everything in nervous that even the PV and "live load" AC out would not work; luckily that was an unfounded fear. The PV in and AC out still work JUST FINE via live load... However, I am NOW nervous that whatever Could Have or Did happen, will screw me down the line... Some of my current fears are (but not limited to): Will it charge okay when I do get batteries, at least from PV? My fear is that an improper AC IN actually "cooked" the entire charger part of the unit? Will it work off of batteries at all if/when connected? Or did this little endeavor somehow "fry" something to do with the battery -> AC out? Well, I guess batteries wouldn't work if the charger (as a whole) is shot!! Well they would until they were dead, and not be able to be charged up again!

I don't think the AC input will work, for any reason/mode, because I "tested" it too with another (smaller) camping inverter I have (2kw), and the LV6548 goes into it's "standby" mode just fine when I plug it's AC in to the AC out on my camping inverter (I know, not ideal, but just brief testing after all this ordeal) BUT, as soon as you press the power button to turn the inverter/LV6548 on, it automatically sends my smaller 2kw camping inverter into it's protection mode... Leading me to think something certainly got "messed up" in the LV6548... But at least I know that wiring is all correct!

Would a warranty even cover this idiocy of mine? I mean, I SHOULD have fully tested the AC that I was going to be putting in to the LV6548 BEFORE rather than AFTER there was an issue @.@ I should NOT have assumed that somebody else's wiring was correct... I know this now!!! Sure, I could "just replace it" but, @ $1500 a pop; they're not exactly "cheap"! Would there be somewhere I could get it repaired? Is there a repair manual/schematic available for private repair??

Some manufactures, lime the EG4 6500 change their L/N wiring so each input output needs to be carefully checked. Hows everything running since this post?

Back