diy solar

diy solar

LV6548 AC input settings

It’s perfect for you battery bank. Now that you’ve increased it to that size. That’s why I mentioned it. Each rack battery has a recommended charge rate of 30 amps. Ideally it would be 20-30 amps. You have 12 batteries now. 12x20=240. Time to ramp it up.

It’s what I have mind set on. It works fantastic.
Well that was interesting. I took the max charge to 100a. I had to save it twice because it lost it the first time. Ambient temp here right now is 71 degrees. The PV hit almost 10kw and the batteries were taking over 8k of that most of the time. The inverters hit 145 degrees. Then the batteries hit fully charged so it dropped off. I put a fan blowing on the inverters and the temp started dropping a little before it dropped off. I'm thinking I'll take it down to 80a instead of 100a and see how that does. I'm going to put a mini split in the garage but I wasn't planning on keeping it below 70 degrees in there. May not have a choice. It sucks not to use full capacity but I don't need to blow up or burn up anything trying to accomplish that. Fun times!

Well that was interesting. I took the max charge to 100a. I had to save it twice because it lost it the first time. Ambient temp here right now is 71 degrees. The PV hit almost 10kw and the batteries were taking over 8k of that most of the time. The inverters hit 145 degrees. Then the batteries hit fully charged so it dropped off. I put a fan blowing on the inverters and the temp started dropping a little before it dropped off. I'm thinking I'll take it down to 80a instead of 100a and see how that does. I'm going to put a mini split in the garage but I wasn't planning on keeping it below 70 degrees in there. May not have a choice. It sucks not to use full capacity but I don't need to blow up or burn up anything trying to accomplish that. Fun times!
I keep my mini split set to 80 in the summer. The LV’s run fine. Trust the equipment. Use all that PV!

I get what you're saying but isn't 145 degrees out of range for the LVs?
Their ambient operating temps are like 90 degrees for the high right? I don’t have the manual near me. Those temps very likely are based off running at maximum capacity. The inverter would have shut off if the temps are too high. It won’t run itself into the ground. It has thresholds.

Their ambient operating temps are like 90 degrees for the high right? I don’t have the manual near me. Those temps very likely are based off running at maximum capacity. The inverter would have shut off if the temps are too high. It won’t run itself into the ground. It has thresholds.
The manual says up to 40C which is 104F. I'm assuming that's ambient temperature. What inverter temps do you see when you're running in the summer? I swear I saw something like 144F was where the inverter starts overheating but I can't find it and it may have been something else.

Yeah man. You’re overthinking it. I’ve run my inverters for 11 months. Most of which I had the charging amps set high. Granted I didn’t have enough of to max them till around 7 months ago. They really start singing when you hit 110-120 amps per inverter. But that’s what they’re made for. It’s an amazing amount of wattage for such a small device.

Yeah man. You’re overthinking it. I’ve run my inverters for 11 months. Most of which I had the charging amps set high. Granted I didn’t have enough of to max them till around 7 months ago. They really start singing when you hit 110-120 amps per inverter. But that’s what they’re made for. It’s an amazing amount of wattage for such a small device.
It really is an amazing amount. Maybe that's what makes me so cautious, other than I'm that way by nature on some things. Others, not so much. :ROFLMAO:

Holy Moly Zwy! That’s one heck of a DIY Hoffman box of batteries! Mine is only 32kwh in fire retardant treated wood under the work bench. View attachment 141557
Nice setup, like the diagonal cables and the color. I thought about it but with cell compression the solid busbars should work fine in my system. It took me some time to get all of the cabinet built but as a buddy of mine said as I would work on it in the evening, "That cabinet is perfect for what you are doing."

I have the doors all on it now. Batrium has 4 temps sensors on the cells and I've never seen any cells get warm yet. Another advantage of having a larger bank, the temps stay low on cells, busbars and cables. Less stress, longer life.

My inverters and batteries get toasty in summer, but not near the danger zone. I got a vent tube on thermostat between the inverters and a fan to blow over the batteries on timer for the cool night air to pull the heat out of them. Those things are thermal reservoirs and it takes time for both directions. Lots of heat can be pulled out from the terminals. Just got to stay ahead of it. Wish I had them in a cool basement instead of the hottest corner of the garage but this is a learning experience for later. Lots of what I’d do next time. ?

Just FYI when we were in a heat wave last year and it hit 106+ for several days in a row, I removed the filters at the top temporarily until it passed. That resulted in as much as a 10 degree drop. Making bunches of PV and running the air conditioner has its price in heat.

Just FYI when we were in a heat wave last year and it hit 106+ for several days in a row, I removed the filters at the top temporarily until it passed. That resulted in as much as a 10 degree drop. Making bunches of PV and running the air conditioner has its price in heat.
Good idea. I'll remember that tip.

Hey it does work for 8 places. I’ll probably only use four closest to the wall but two for now. Have to use spacer washers if I don’t put lugs between the buss and post outrigger. 6B92E211-DB99-41D7-BC31-83F8B1B6C7BD.jpeg2900984D-78B3-4D3E-A1B8-EA1C3AE87C5E.jpeg5EFF7517-3C5E-4B7D-9313-08BADD76C1FC.jpeg

Back