diy solar

diy solar

LV6548 AC input settings

Good point. I went and looked at Ian's breaker. It looks like since I only have one battery bank and two inverters I would only need one breaker for now. That's pretty much what it says in the description. I see you have two of them set up but you also have two battery banks connected. Do you agree that one is all I need?
The one breaker is just the disconnect between your bank and both inverters. So it’s usually between the batteries and bus bar. Then from the busbar it branches to both inverters. You wouldn’t ever need to isolate the battery power from one inverter since they are in split phase. But technically those breakers can actually provide 200 amps for 2 different terminals yes.

I’ve heard mixed opinions on here about Docan power. But that’s where I bought my cells for the diy batteries. They came in great condition and no issues. I ordered through Jenny Wu. Those with a nice bms is around $2,500 for 280ah battery. So you save around 30% usually I think over a rack battery. But there is something to be said for warranties also I guess. I wanted more storage. And also wanted to know more about how everything works. Seems as if I can’t really fully learn unless I actually do it with my own hands. If you get a jkbms the balancing is super nice. But my overkill bms works great also.

I think 150amps probably would work. It’s at the upper end of what the inverters will pull. It’s the voltage that’s a potential problem. They are rated for 48vs and below. You’ll be running 51.2 volts. I used one for months. And others use them all the time. It’s just worth considering.
The 304Ah B grade cells from 18650 are a better deal. $135 per cell. Even if they don't test 304Ah which everyone has been reporting they are over 304Ah, it still puts out more than 280Ah. Same physical size.

The one breaker is just the disconnect between your bank and both inverters. So it’s usually between the batteries and bus bar. Then from the busbar it branches to both inverters. You wouldn’t ever need to isolate the battery power from one inverter since they are in split phase. But technically those breakers can actually provide 200 amps for 2 different terminals yes.
I watched your video on the breakers but I can't really see how you mounted them. Are those DIN rail mounted?

That works. I'm gonna order one. Appreciate the recommendation.
Too bad I haven’t gotten my affiliate links straight yet or you could have been my first referral. ? I think you’ll like it. Just gotta but s small box of 4” screws. Super heavy fire breaker though. Really nice.

Too bad I haven’t gotten my affiliate links straight yet or you could have been my first referral. ? I think you’ll like it. Just gotta but s small box of 4” screws. Super heavy fire breaker though. Really nice.
I thought about that after I placed the order. Now I don't feel guilty since you don't have the affiliate links set up yet. Tell Ian he owes you a commission. ?

There is multiple people on here much smarter then me in that regard. But I’ll tell you what I did. I have a rack and dyi batteries. I had the inverters set to 48vs and it triggered a voltage warning on the inverter. So I set it at 50 and it was taking my batteries to around 10%. So I settled on 51v. Usually is around 15% when it switches over. The only time this gets problematic is with a huge inductive load. Which can make the voltage sag even if you have plenty of juice left. But that only applies if you have a small battery bank.

Hope that didn’t just seem like rambling. My advice is try it out. The same with the back to solar voltage. Check your SOC and set it that way. I settled on 54v to return to solar.
With the cutover to grid set at 51V is switched a few minutes ago at 26%, which is higher than I expected. It makes me wonder if battery #1 had an impact on that. At this point I want to let it charge the batteries back to where it switches back over so I can test that function then I think I'm going to add some more circuits and run it a few days to see how it does. I may try dropping the cutover down to something like 50.6v and see what that gets me, but at this point it's certainly functional.

Appreciate your help on this!

With the cutover to grid set at 51V is switched a few minutes ago at 26%, which is higher than I expected. It makes me wonder if battery #1 had an impact on that. At this point I want to let it charge the batteries back to where it switches back over so I can test that function then I think I'm going to add some more circuits and run it a few days to see how it does. I may try dropping the cutover down to something like 50.6v and see what that gets me, but at this point it's certainly functional.

Yeah just keep fiddling with it. You want to use most of the battery without the bms having to stop the discharge. So that may be 50v for you. Or even 49v.

What SOC do you have when it hits the 54V and switches back over?
I can’t remember anymore. Somewhere around 50%. It’s one of those things that after a while it just sorta runs itself. But the first couple months you’re tweaking and monitoring

54V kicked mine out at 72% SOC so I'm going to take both settings down some. Otherwise everything worked as expected so I'm pretty happy with it overall.

54V kicked mine out at 72% SOC so I'm going to take both settings down some. Otherwise everything worked as expected so I'm pretty happy with it overall.
I designed the same system I have for my father. I had to start his at 53v return to solar. 54v for him was around what yours is, Then after 4 months moved it up to 54V. I’m sure there’s a technical reason. To me it just seemed like break in and balancing of the rack batteries. Either way, it’s fun to tinker with every now and then anyway.

I responded in another thread with this. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...y-overkill-100a-bms-install.49902/post-702674

Rethinking this after looking at it again. If I put this between the battery and the busbar and only use one side of it I'm only going to have a single 200a breaker to protect both inverters. I'm back to putting this between the busbar and the two inverters to give me a 200a breaker for each inverter. That's what I was planning on initially so I'm still good with it. Am I missing something?

From the description -
1676123313075.png

Rethinking this after looking at it again. If I put this between the battery and the busbar and only use one side of it I'm only going to have a single 200a breaker to protect both inverters. I'm back to putting this between the busbar and the two inverters to give me a 200a breaker for each inverter. That's what I was planning on initially so I'm still good with it. Am I missing something?

From the description -
View attachment 134315
I believe that makes sense? I think I was leading you in the wrong direction there. Maybe mine has worked out so well because I have the two different battery banks. So in that case I would never exceed the amperage limit. Either way it should work great the way you describe. 200 amps off each pole. Good catch there. I tell my wife I’m always right. But that’s really not the case.

I believe that makes sense? I think I was leading you in the wrong direction there. Maybe mine has worked out so well because I have the two different battery banks. So in that case I would never exceed the amperage limit. Either way it should work great the way you describe. 200 amps off each pole. Good catch there. I tell my wife I’m always right. But that’s really not the case.
I have the wife thing all figured out and have for many years. She does what she wants to do and I do what she wants to do and we get along just fine. Plus she's always right.

Back