diy solar

diy solar

LV6548 and EG4 48-volt Batteries

medic149

Cabin In The Woods
Having to redo my solar architecture.

Have the MPP LV6548 and will be using 2 - EG4 48-volt 100 amp batteries.
Looking at using a class T fuse, but unsure which size. 200 or 300??

Thoughts?

Thanks

With a single LV6548 I use a 200 amp main fuse, but think it overly large. 6500 W / 50 V. = 130 x 1.2 = 150ish. I do not have any large motor loads like a well pump or AC on it however so I don’t factor for surges. 300 x 50 = 15000 which is more than 2x the 6500’s limits

With a single LV6548 I use a 200 amp main fuse, but think it overly large. 6500 W / 50 V. = 130 x 1.2 = 150ish. I do not have any large motor loads like a well pump or AC on it however so I don’t factor for surges. 300 x 50 = 15000 which is more than 2x the 6500’s limits
Thanks! I'm in the same boat with no large motors, at least currently.

@medic149 I wanted to get the same inverter and battery but was told they won't communicate with each other. Do you have the same problem and how do you get around them not being able to communicate?

@medic149 I wanted to get the same inverter and battery but was told they won't communicate with each other. Do you have the same problem and how do you get around them not being able to communicate?
They don’t. I use solar-assistant as an intermediary but since I have multiple batteries I use a smartshunt as my ”overall” status reporter

They don’t. I use solar-assistant as an intermediary but since I have multiple batteries I use a smartshunt as my ”overall” status reporter
I am looking to do a split phase with 2x LV6548 and 2x EG4-LL rack batteries. Which cables would I need to purchase to hook up to solar-assistant?

I am looking to do a split phase with 2x LV6548 and 2x EG4-LL rack batteries. Which cables would I need to purchase to hook up to solar-assistant?
The battery should come with a USB to RS485 adaptor. You will need a hub to connect more than one battery. Use a usb to micro usb cable connected to each of the LV6548. One will work but you get a little more details with both connected. Solar-assistant has information on connecting to the EG4 battery.

EG4 battery comes with the needed cables. You do not need a hub as you can daisy chain the batteries
Do you actually have solar assistant connected to multiple EG4s without a hub? Unless there has been a recent update, it doesn't work daisy chained.

EG4 and 6548 with Solar Assistant. Can Solar Assistant read info from the battery and give it to 6548?

I am looking at the same setup. Would just two of these batteries be enough and what kind of loads can you pull with using only two. Everywhere I look people are using a rack of six so justnwondering. Thanks for any help.

Start with battery 2
Just for clarity, which EG4 batteries do you have? I understand that daisychaining works for some models but not reliably for others. I have LiFePower4 48V/100AH batteries and daisychaining does not work for Solar Assistant. It only reads one battery.

Just for clarity, which EG4 batteries do you have? I understand that daisychaining works for some models but not reliably for others. I have LiFePower4 48V/100AH batteries and daisychaining does not work for Solar Assistant. It only reads one battery.
I determined, at least in my case, that daisychaining was not working because the documentation's DIP switch settings were incorrect. Please see https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-dip-switch-settings.39388/#post-518261 for more details if you're having issues getting daisychaining to work properly.

I determined, at least in my case, that daisychaining was not working because the documentation's DIP switch settings were incorrect. Please see https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-dip-switch-settings.39388/#post-518261 for more details if you're having issues getting daisychaining to work properly.
Well, that's not a good thing to hear :( I do have the EG4 100 AH batteries. Which took me months to get because of supply chain issues and replacements for damaged ones.

I wonder how it would do connected to 2 LV6548 inverters?????

Last edited:
I am looking at the same setup. Would just two of these batteries be enough and what kind of loads can you pull with using only two. Everywhere I look people are using a rack of six so justnwondering. Thanks for any help.
For what I need, the 2 batteries are plenty. We are fully off-grid and the biggest draw is a 10.1 cu/ft fridge.

Well, that's not a good thing to hear :( I do have the EG4 100 AH batteries. Which took me months to get because of supply chain issues and replacements for damaged ones.

I wonder how it would do connected to 2 LV6548 inverters?????
As far as I know, the LV6548 firmware currently cannot communicate with the EG4 batteries. If you haven't purchased the inverters yet, I would highly recommend you consider the EG4 EG6500EX inverters. It is built on the same Voltronic platform as the LV6548, has higher open circuit voltage MPPT chargers (500V vs. 250V in the LV6548) and the firmware has been updated to support direct comms with EG4 batteries. They are also $200-300 per unit cheaper if I recall correctly. I just can't see a good reason to go with MPP over the equivalent EG4 inverter at this point.

As far as I know, the LV6548 firmware currently cannot communicate with the EG4 batteries. If you haven't purchased the inverters yet, I would highly recommend you consider the EG4 EG6500EX inverters. It is built on the same Voltronic platform as the LV6548, has higher open circuit voltage MPPT chargers (500V vs. 250V in the LV6548) and the firmware has been updated to support direct comms with EG4 batteries. They are also $200-300 per unit cheaper if I recall correctly. I just can't see a good reason to go with MPP over the equivalent EG4 inverter at this point.
I am actually considering that now. I've had the LV6548 for a year and a half. Due to supply chain issues, I haven't been able to get everything I need to setup my system. Also, got screwed out of $1,500 on batteries that never showed up before buying the EG4's. 4 months dealing with EG4 delivery issues. Not being able to find the right solar panels due to supply chain issues. Finally got panels from Signature. Have the 2 EG4's, so its making more and more sense to get their all-in-one inverter.

Thanks!

Back