diy solar

diy solar

LV6548 and SOK server rack battery communication warning 61

fanchazstic

Final update (hopefully...): If you're having trouble with communication using the Pylontech485 protocol and your unit has firmware 112.14 you will need to update it to 112.19. The firmware is available from Watts247 and can be flashed following this video from LithiumSolar. It is very important to follow his instructions with adding a resistor to pin 2 of the serial cable or you will likely encounter flash failures. You may be able to get around those issues by cooling the LCD panel PCB during the flashing process, but some people have better luck with that than others. It's safer and easier to just put the resistor in.

Latest update: There are many reports in this thread of users who have updated to 112.19 and have fixed their communication. There seems to be official firmware out on the Watts247 page and another user has reported being sent it directly from MPP Solar. Most people still seem to have thermal issues when applying the update though. Everyone who has reported trouble with updating the firmware (except maybe one user who may have had an issue with their RS232 adapter) has been able to resolve it by cooling down the remote panel unit. Whether that's letting the unit sit powered off for a while, putting it in the freezer while applying the update, or using an air compressor to give it lots of airflow. Time users seem to require more cooling than others and some don't have any problem at all. Don't be afraid to try extremes. In any case as long as you flash the official firmware provided by MPP Solar they should have you covered if you have issues. My experience with MPP support was not great and they refused to help but I assume that comes from me having flashed an "unofficial" firmware. Pages 4 and 5 contain multiple reports from other users who have tried this, had trouble, and gotten it working. It would be a good idea to read through at least those two pages before attempting the upgrade.

UPDATE: I was able to get communication working on my unit by flashing remote panel firmware version 112.19 provided by @savaga in this post BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND FLASHING IT at this time. Read this post for more information and warning

It also might be a good idea to avoid purchasing this unit from Watts247. When I called them about the communications issue, they tried to sell me batteries from their site and I guess wanted me to just toss out $4k worth of SOK batteries, as if that's a solution. When I emailed them about the panel firmware flash that failed, I was told "I can assure you that the firmware was not the problem to begin with" but oddly enough, firmware 112.19 fixed it once I finally got it flashed. And AGAIN they tried to sell me their own batteries. When something goes wrong they'll blame someone else and try to sell you something else instead of standing behind what they already sold you.

Original post:
I'm having trouble getting a LV6548 to communicate with two SOK SK48v100 server rack batteries. I've followed the manual on the Current Connected site for communication, but the inverter either doesn't establish communication at all and flashes the 61 warning after 3 minutes, or it does establish communication for a few seconds then flashes the 04 warning (low battery) for a couple seconds and then starts flashing the 61 warning (communication lost). When communication is established (for the couple of seconds) the LV6548 shows the battery to be three bars which is it. But then it flashes the low battery warning and loses communication (I assume the former is caused by the latter, because the BMS's say the batteries are in the mid 60%'s).

I have the DIP switches set on the master battery to (left to right) on-off-off-off (up-down-down-down) and the second battery off-on-off-off (down-up-down-down). There is a patch cable going from RS485B on the master battery to RS485C on the second battery. I have also tried having the patch cable go from RS485B on the master to RS485A on the second battery. I've even tried eliminating the second battery and only running a single battery.

My last idea was to update the firmware on the LV6548 (currently at ver 69.02) but I can't find the option anywhere in the watchpower app on my phone or the watchpower program on the computer. I can't find instructions in the manual either other than you do it with a USB stick and to contact the dealer.. And of course I can't find any firmware files on the MPP solar website, so I don't even know if there's a newer firmware available or not.

Sorry for the length but I wanted to provide as much information as I could. If nobody else has any ideas or experience with this I'll start contacting Current Connected and watts247. At the very least I think it's a good idea to document this here for others to possibly find in the future.

Edit: Also forgot to add that I definitely do have the communication cable the correct way around. I even made my own cable following the manual from Current Connected. Both cables have the same behavior.

Last edited:
I’m having a similar issue with same hardware I just received. I’ll watch closely to see if I also get the 04 error before it goes to the 61

Im setting up some 6548s with eg4s and was wondering how does Will get past the warning 61 code without battery communications? He seems to do it just fine on all his 6548 video....

I was hoping to set my system up first test everything then go back and add the communications cables later.

I’m having a similar issue with same hardware I just received. I’ll watch closely to see if I also get the 04 error before it goes to the 61
I watched closely and I didn’t get the 04 error but after a minute or so the battery icon starts flashing like it’s communicating and with 30 seconds it get the 61 alert.

Im setting up some 6548s with eg4s and was wondering how does Will get past the warning 61 code without battery communications? He seems to do it just fine on all his 6548 video....

I was hoping to set my system up first test everything then go back and add the communications cables later.
Good question. I would like to know the answer myself

Every lv6548, eg46500ex I own (six currently) have this issue. I can't get it to work whether I use eg4, sok, trophy, orient power, energetech server rack batteries.

This is why I haven't posted my communication video. None of them work at all. I've got a stack of Ethernet cables, no luck.

The only communication I have seen work is sol ark and EG4's small all in one system. That's it.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I called Current Connected on Monday afternoon and had to leave a voicemail because all of their techs were busy. I might call back tomorrow and see if I can get a hold of anyone.

Good question. I would like to know the answer myself

If you set the battery type to USE in setting 5 it disables communication and will work in voltage controlled mode. You will have to program settings 26, 27, and 29 yourself though. I did this for the time being so my system will function until I get communication working.

Every lv6548, eg46500ex I own (six currently) have this issue. I can't get it to work whether I use eg4, sok, trophy, orient power, energetech server rack batteries.

This is why I haven't posted my communication video. None of them work at all. I've got a stack of Ethernet cables, no luck.

The only communication I have seen work is sol ark and EG4's small all in one system. That's it.
Thanks for the response. I spoke with current connect yesterday. I can’t remember his name. Discussed if the issue was the same as reported by lithiumsolar with the Jakipar battery, he just posted a video on how resolved it. I have the comms cable coming to check the setting on the SOK battery but if I understood correctly current connected already sets this. They also seemed interested in testing if someone can get them a 6548 :)

That's unfortunate, from that EG4 post it sounded like they had it working with the eg46500ex and their EG4 batteries and it was just a cable issue. If it doesn't work on any LV6548 or equivalent that sounds like a firmware issue to me at least. I'll just be patient then and wait for your video/update if you ever get communication working. Thanks for the insight, I didn't realize it was such a widespread issue.

Good to hear multiple sources posting positive results. I've followed it exactly and my SOK has the red master sticker but I still get the 61. Currentconnected has the comms cable and a new replacement cable that connects from Batteries to the 6548 coming to me so we can rule those out. I'm really hoping it's the battery setting as described in the video but sounds like they set it before shipping. If it's not that I'm not sure what is the issue.

I'm also still having the error 61 after following the video posted by @HighTechLab. I uploaded a youtube video showing me getting the error over and over again along with the odd and inconsistent nature of it. The video is rather long but I wanted to leave it uncut and unedited. In the video I tried both the cable included with the SOK batteries from Current Connected and a cable that I made following the manual on the Current Connected website. My battery has the "master" sticker on it, but I have ordered a cable to connect my computer to the rs232 port to double check the settings. The "main cpu firmware" of my LV6548 is 00069.02 and the "secondary cpu firmware" is 00112.14.

Last edited:
Just recorded a video showing how to setup the communications.

Hope this helps out! I am also working on further documenting this in full detail.
No joy for me...
Do you have to power down the battery each time you make a dip switch change?

I tried every combination ( my pair has the "master" sticker on one of them)
master on off off off into A port
slave off on off off = B to B
Does the same apply with the EG as far as using a hub?

Also it there a way to function test to check the precharge circuit? I am assuming there is supposed to be a slow ramp up of voltage, how quick does this happen?
I keep getting red alarm when waking up with the reset button ( both units out of BMS and stay dark when breakers are opened )

I tested some more this time with all 3 batteries instead of just the master. Thinking that just maybe the master was also programmed to see the 2 other batteries and that was the cause of the 61. Long shot I know, but I figured might as well try. This time with no AC power on I got the 04 error then followed by the 61.

I am also finding that all my USE settings get jacked up and changed after trying to get it to communicate.
it puts the cutout voltage @ 42 and the bulk and topping around 48 v ( forgot to write it down) . My settings are 56.4 bulk, 55 topping and 48 cutout.

With PC's I know they can have comm issues if the clocks aren't sync'd. Is there a clock setting on the bms? I'm grasping at this point

I am also finding that all my USE settings get jacked up and changed after trying to get it to communicate.
it puts the cutout voltage @ 42 and the bulk and topping around 48 v ( forgot to write it down) . My settings are 56.4 bulk, 55 topping and 48 cutout.
Same here. Float voltage also

Back