diy solar

diy solar

LV6548 Newbie Battery Issues

davesmith87

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with my pair of LV6548 inverters not recognizing my battery.

I've got (2) 24v 100AH Ampere Time batteries (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P6LP1J9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). These are wired in series (to get 48V) then connected to the inverters.

The inverters are giving a BP warning (which according to the manual is Battery Disconnected).

Settings Below
Option 5 = User Defined
Option 16 = Solar and Utility
Option 26 = 56.4V
Option 27 = 55.0V
Option 29 = 48.0V

The 1st night I had this hooked up, it appeared to work as it should. With option 1 set to SbU (solar then battery then utility), I could see it working. At night the load was coming from the battery, and the grid was charging the battery as well. I didn't think that was very efficient (just cycling through the battery), so I programmed option #16 to only charge the batteries off Solar. Well I don't have all my panels setup, so my load was always more then what I was producing so the batteries didn't charge.

Now I've changed setting #16 back to solar and grid and the batteries are just not charging. With a volt meter, I have tested that the wires are hot.

I feel like I must be missing something simple.

As a test, I also removed the Fuse / Shunt. Got the same results. Added them back in. Not sure how to troubleshoot at this point.

I think the battery is completely dead, and the inverters are not recognizing it to charge?

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with my pair of LV6548 inverters not recognizing my battery.

I've got (2) 24v 100AH Ampere Time batteries (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P6LP1J9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). These are wired in series (to get 48V) then connected to the inverters.

The inverters are giving a BP warning (which according to the manual is Battery Disconnected).

Settings Below
Option 5 = User Defined
Option 16 = Solar and Utility
Option 26 = 56.4V
Option 27 = 55.0V
Option 29 = 48.0V

The 1st night I had this hooked up, it appeared to work as it should. With option 1 set to SbU (solar then battery then utility), I could see it working. At night the load was coming from the battery, and the grid was charging the battery as well. I didn't think that was very efficient (just cycling through the battery), so I programmed option #16 to only charge the batteries off Solar. Well I don't have all my panels setup, so my load was always more then what I was producing so the batteries didn't charge.

Now I've changed setting #16 back to solar and grid and the batteries are just not charging. With a volt meter, I have tested that the wires are hot.

I feel like I must be missing something simple.

As a test, I also removed the Fuse / Shunt. Got the same results. Added them back in. Not sure how to troubleshoot at this point.

I think the battery is completely dead, and the inverters are not recognizing it to charge?
Sounds like the BMS in one or both batteries went into low voltage protect mode. You may have to use a separate charger to "wake them up" before rhe inverter sees them.
Disconnect, check voltages, attempt a charge. Worst case, call Ampre Time and get their suggested solution.

Thanks for the replies. I’m reading 0 for the voltage, unless I’m doing it wrong. Using a multimeter, V 200 setting and getting 0s.

From what I’ve been reading I think your right, the BMS went into protect mode and shut the batteries down.

I found the user manual. The 1st option (disconnecting everything for 30 minutes) didn’t seem to work.

The second option, listed I don’t fully understand. “Use the charger with 0v charging function (it can charge the battery starting from 0v” to charge battery. After fully charged the battery can be normally used again.

What is a charger with 0v charging function?

The next option requires another 24v battery which I don’t have.

Last edited:
Would this be a compatible charger? It references 16s 48v, and i'm not sure what the 16s stands for.

$40 bucks for a 2amp charger? You also need a charger with the following capability:

Fully discharged battery recovery function
Will initiate charging even if the battery has been discharged to zero volts.Will reconnect to a fully discharged Li-ion battery with internal disconnect function.

The Victron chargers have that function.
Also, your individual batteries are 24V, so you need a charger that can handle 24V to charge them individually.
They are not cheap, but I bought a Victron smart charger for my SOK batteries for the same reason, and it worked great.

Search for this:

Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 24-Volt 8 amp​

They make multiple models, with different amp ratings. (Higher = more expensive)
You can buy a cheaper charger, but you usually get what you pay for. Make sure it is "BMS compatible" and Lifepo4 capable for best results if you get something else.

$40 bucks for a 2amp charger? You also need a charger with the following capability:

Fully discharged battery recovery function
Will initiate charging even if the battery has been discharged to zero volts.Will reconnect to a fully discharged Li-ion battery with internal disconnect function.

The Victron chargers have that function.
Also, your individual batteries are 24V, so you need a charger that can handle 24V to charge them individually.
They are not cheap, but I bought a Victron smart charger for my SOK batteries for the same reason, and it worked great.

Search for this:

Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 24-Volt 8 amp​

They make multiple models, with different amp ratings. (Higher = more expensive)
You can buy a cheaper charger, but you usually get what you pay for. Make sure it is "BMS compatible" and Lifepo4 capable for best results if you get something else.
Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting this one. It was 24-Volt 5 Amp. I could not find the one you referenced (not sure what the IP22 was)?

Hopefully this one works. I realize 5A vs 8A will take a bit longer to charge.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting this one. It was 24-Volt 5 Amp. I could not find the one you referenced (not sure what the IP22 was)?

Hopefully this one works. I realize 5A vs 8A will take a bit longer to charge.

This issue is why a lot of us leverage DIY Lifepo4 cells and build our own batteries. Its less expensive, and you can choose a BMS with Bluetooth access to simply connect to the battery and turn on the BMS again. That being said, the Victron chargers are great for dumb packs like my SOK.

This issue is why a lot of us leverage DIY Lifepo4 cells and build our own batteries. Its less expensive, and you can choose a BMS with Bluetooth access to simply connect to the battery and turn on the BMS again. That being said, the Victron chargers are great for dumb packs like my SOK.
Also, Always set your low voltage cutoff higher on the inverter than the BMS in the battery. Thats typically over 2.6V

Back