diy solar

diy solar

LVX6048 - Advise needed for cable and t-fuse size

MadCow

I have six 48v gyll (g4LL) batteries in a rack and 2 MPP Solar LVX6048 inverters. Questions;
1) Best cable size from Signature Solar rack to inverters? (6' from the rack buss bar to inverter)
2) Size of T fuse need between the buss and each inverter? Positive only?
3) Cable from rack to each inverter or rack to another buss bar, then to inverters?

Any other considerations?

Thanks

You ought to spend some time and review the install manual for the LVX6048...

They discuss the typical current draw of the unit. Also would depend on the length of the battery cable runs. First step is to figure out what amps max it needs to support, use an online wire gauge calculator to figure in with maximum lengths and conductor type. The fuse or breaker size (usually placed on positive side) is sized to protect the gauge of cable you select.

Ref from manual (Page 5):
1655664275840.png

2/0 might be a typical cable size for up to a 200a current. Longer lengths may require larger. Again, fuse / breaker should be sized to protect the wire. Note, that 2/0 means 00 gauge or 2 aught, not 2 AWG, as 2/0 is much larger than 2 AWG.

You should also read Victron's Wiring Unlimited PDF, as they cover best practices for wiring battery banks to get the most symmetrical current flow across the parallel battery modules and such.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Wiring-Unlimited-EN.pdf (Page 18-19)

1655664746736.png

Here's an example of the 2/0 gauge cable I purchased which looks high quality (seems to work fine)...

Last edited:

They discuss the typical current draw of the unit. Also would depend on the length of the battery cable runs. First step is to figure out what amps max it needs to support, use an online wire gauge calculator to figure in with maximum lengths and conductor type. The fuse or breaker size (usually placed on positive side) is sized to protect the gauge of cable you select.

View attachment 99264

2/0 might be a typical cable size for up to a 200a current. Longer lengths may require larger. Again, fuse / breaker should be sized to protect the wire. Note, that 2/0 means 00 gauge or 2 aught, not 2 AWG, as 2/0 is much larger than 2 AWG.

You should also read Victron's Wiring Unlimited PDF, as they cover best practices for wiring battery banks to get the most symmetrical current flow across the parallel battery modules and such.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Wiring-Unlimited-EN.pdf (Page 18-19)

View attachment 99265

Here's an example of the 2/0 gauge cable I purchased which looks high quality (seems to work fine)...

Wow, great information thank you very much.

View attachment 99264

View attachment 99265

Update: So the reason I was asking this was because I was getting a hot cable between the battery rack and the buss bar that joins the 2 inverters (system is just days old). Anyway, your advice was solid. I went back to the manual(s). Turns out that the manual for a single inverter has the cable at 2/0. However, the manual that comes with the parallel kit (which is an extra $72 bucks for each inverter!) says that the battery cable from the rack to the buss needs to be X the size of the cable going to the inverter. X = # of inverters. Of course that makes sense to me now. So, again my thanks to your wise council to go back to the manuals!
I ordered the 4/o cables that I need from BatteryCablesUSA.com

Update: So the reason I was asking this was because I was getting a hot cable between the battery rack and the buss bar that joins the 2 inverters (system is just days old). Anyway, your advice was solid. I went back to the manual(s). Turns out that the manual for a single inverter has the cable at 2/0. However, the manual that comes with the parallel kit (which is an extra $72 bucks for each inverter!) says that the battery cable from the rack to the buss needs to be X the size of the cable going to the inverter. X = # of inverters. Of course that makes sense to me now. So, again my thanks to your wise council to go back to the manuals!
I ordered the 4/o cables that I need from BatteryCablesUSA.com
Hope your system is working great, but I had a question on your battery cables. I am trying to picture 4/0 cable attaching to the little dinky 8mm posts. Do you have a picture by chance? The manual calls for 2awg which is what I was planning on using.

Hope your system is working great, but I had a question on your battery cables. I am trying to picture 4/0 cable attaching to the little dinky 8mm posts. Do you have a picture by chance? The manual calls for 2awg which is what I was planning on using.
Make sure to get lugs with a small hole so there's good contact area. 4/0 is definitely not needed for a single inverter though. 2 AWG (90 degree C rated insulation or higher) in open air is perfectly fine for the max continuous power of an LVX6048. You should size up slightly though if you'll be running it in conduit.

Back