diy solar

diy solar

LVX6048WP / IP6048 - Can I use an AC solar coupled array and a DC array at the same time?

Olagarro

I am setting up my new system. The existing system is an AC coupled system, really simple with microinverters on roof. I want to convert to a battery backup system and add another array. I purchased some lifepo batteries, IP6048, and a solar combiner box.

1) Can I / Should I leave my current AC coupled system running into the AC OUT on the 6048
2) Can I add a DC coupled array while the 6048 is also in AC coupled mode?
3) If so, Am I still limited to 7.5 kw of power IN?
4) Also I'm still wondering about the generator IN and if I can use the hybrid inverter on my Kia EV6 to supply power during an outage to charge batteries

1) I don't know if the LP6048 can run in parallel with mircoinverters, or what the inverter/inverter power ratio needs to be to not blow-up the LP6048. Therefore, if it isn't in their manual, I wouldn't do it.
2) You can add a DC array to your LP6048 and use it to power a separate essential loads sub-panel, not in parallel with the microinverters.
3) Always, the inverter transfer switch has it's maximum rating that should not be exceeded. It must be protected at 1.25x that rating with a fuse or circuit breaker.
4) It's been done with other cars that can accept 120V or 240V AC input, not direct DC input.

1) I don't know if the LP6048 can run in parallel with mircoinverters, or what the inverter/inverter power ratio needs to be to not blow-up the LP6048. Therefore, if it isn't in their manual, I wouldn't do it.
2) You can add a DC array to your LP6048 and use it to power a separate essential loads sub-panel, not in parallel with the microinverters.
3) Always, the inverter transfer switch has it's maximum rating that should not be exceeded. It must be protected at 1.25x that rating with a fuse or circuit breaker.
4) It's been done with other cars that can accept 120V or 240V AC input, not direct DC input.
Hello there! Thanks for the answers, I want to explain my questions a bit because it seems like I was not clear enough.

First of all, here is the info on the inverter :

1) This image makes it seem like the existing ac coupled system is connected on the AC OUT side of the inverteraccoupling_normal.jpg
2) The DC inputs for solar panels are completely separate on the inverter, there is no "parallel" because the two solar panels are not connected in any way. So I'm not understanding your response. Also, why would an essential loads sub panel be required if the panels are connected to the inverter and not the load?

3) Inverter transfer switch? its the inverter itself that is rated at 7.5kw max dc in, 6kw max ac out, I don't know what you are referring to

4) I'm not talking about INPUT on my EV at all, the EV6 has an AC OUT that I'm asking if I could connect to my generator in on my inverter during power outages to charge my house batteries.

Attached here is a quick sketch of my proposed setup
plan.jpg

I am setting up my new system. The existing system is an AC coupled system, really simple with microinverters on roof. I want to convert to a battery backup system and add another array. I purchased some lifepo batteries, IP6048, and a solar combiner box.

1) Can I / Should I leave my current AC coupled system running into the AC OUT on the 6048

If you want to use the GT array when utility offline yes.

In most cases, yes, but that may vary by model. Check with Ian.

In most cases, no, but check with Ian.

The LVX MPPT is essentially a separate device, so it shouldn't matter. When charging from an AC coupled array, you're using the inverter/charger to charge. With PV connected to the LVX, you're using the MPPT to charge, so you're limited by your combined PV + AC charging parameters.

4) Also I'm still wondering about the generator IN and if I can use the hybrid inverter on my Kia EV6 to supply power during an outage to charge batteries

Depends on if the EV6 inverter output is compatible with LVX input. Get the specs and check with Ian.

If you want to use the GT array when utility offline yes.

In most cases, yes, but that may vary by model. Check with Ian.

In most cases, no, but check with Ian.

The LVX MPPT is essentially a separate device, so it shouldn't matter. When charging from an AC coupled array, you're using the inverter/charger to charge. With PV connected to the LVX, you're using the MPPT to charge, so you're limited by your combined PV + AC charging parameters.

Depends on if the EV6 inverter output is compatible with LVX input. Get the specs and check with Ian.
Great answers, totally understandable, except, who is Ian?

Ian is watts247 owner/guru/maestro. Shouldn't the microGT be connected to the LP6048 AC-OUT on the sketch/diagram ? Is the Kia EV6 AC-out 120vac or 240vac ?

Olagarro, I just saw your post and I have exactly the same questions as you. I have the IP6048 waiting. Did you get hooked up and able to use your existing array as you wanted?

Olagarro, I just saw your post and I have exactly the same questions as you. I have the IP6048 waiting. Did you get hooked up and able to use your existing array as you wanted?
Did you ever get an answer, I have the exact same question

Yes, you can connect your current AC coupled system to the AC output of the 6048. This is allowed. You can add a DC-coupled PV array while the 6048 is in AC-coupled mode.

Yes, you can connect your current AC coupled system to the AC output of the 6048. This is allowed. You can add a DC-coupled PV array while the 6048 is in AC-coupled mode.

My grid tied AC system is on the same line as the grid. Can I just hook up the AC coupled system AND grid to AC output?

Basically, I want the DC array to pump into the grid on a daily basis, but when the grid goes down, I want to easily be able to switch to off grid. But, I only have one line avaliable to connect to the IP6048. So I can either connect grid to AC output OR AC input.

The easiest will be to connect grid to AC input. But how can I power the load if grid goes down?

I guess I can maybe connect the AC in and AC out to the same subpanel, and just keep only one of them turned on at any point? (turn off breaker of one of them)

What does the cold start button do? Maybe I can utilize that in my set up

My grid tied AC system is on the same line as the grid. Can I just hook up the AC coupled system AND grid to AC output?

Basically, I want the DC array to pump into the grid on a daily basis, but when the grid goes down, I want to easily be able to switch to off grid. But, I only have one line avaliable to connect to the IP6048. So I can either connect grid to AC output OR AC input.

The easiest will be to connect grid to AC input. But how can I power the load if grid goes down?

I guess I can maybe connect the AC in and AC out to the same subpanel, and just keep only one of them turned on at any point? (turn off breaker of one of them)

What does the cold start button do? Maybe I can utilize that in my set up

Did this wiring idea work in a grid down situation?

Did this wiring idea work in a grid down situation?
Haven't tested it yet. Just got it going a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I'll try it over the weekend when it's cloudy and rainy, just to be on the safe side (to make sure load absorbs all the solar generation)

obviously the inverter AC-input should be on the grid side and the AC-out on the critical-load-side; and the two sides are disconnected, ala some sort of transfer switch, during outage

Back