diy solar

diy solar

Lycan Powerbox Charger Melted

Orchid

I bought a Lycan Powerbox Solar Generator last year and I use it in my van to power my stereo. I have been charging it with either the 12 volt cig lighter or with an extension cord from my house. Recently I noticed the cig lighter end had melted and would no longer plug in to charge, so I wrote to Renogy about why it had melted and they informed me that it is not supposed to be plugged into a cig lighter with more than 10 amps, well standard for all cars is 15 amps. so now I am unable to charge this thing with a car cig lighter and I am quite upset with Renogy, they refuse to communicate with me further regarding this issue, I have spent a lot of money with this company, seems they don't care about customer support. I really do not want this thing if I cannot charge it from the lighter outlet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do. If I replace the cord it's just going to melt unless I install a 10 amp cig lighter outlet, seems ridiculous to have to do this.
I won't be spending another dollar of my money with renogy and will not refer others to them as a result.

This would be less efficient, but you could get a DC to AC inverter for your car and plug the Lycan into it to charge. That would at least keep your lighter plug from melting because you wouldn't be using it anymore.

Or, could you replace the lighter plug on the end of the cord with something more robust and meltproof. Is the problem with 10 amps vs. 15 amps due to the internals of the Lycan, or the characteristics of the cord and lighter plug?

According to Renogy the Lycan was designed to handle 10 amps. They didn't like me pointing out that the industry standard is 15 amps. After I mentioned that they stopped all communications via email regarding this issue.

Back