diy solar

diy solar

Magnetic solar panel mounts reviewed and tested with strain gauge.

bcolins

I just caught this youtube video about these magnetic solar panel mounts from "Cutting Edge Power". The reviewer mounts them in a couple different rooftop locations on his Sprinter van, including as close to the windshield as he could and installed a strain gauge set up on one of the front corners to monitor strain (lift) at different speeds and on different road surfaces. Some later updates/comments from him indicating there have not been any issues. Link to his YouTube video:

Last edited:
Great video. Definitely an interesting option for mounting!

I would have guessed the lift would be greater than he measured.

It would be interesting to see a wind-tunnel test with smoke showing the airflow and turbulence. The flat leading edge of the panel is creating turbulence so it is hard to guess what is really happening. However, since he was getting a small lift, it would appear that the air going over the top of the panel is moving faster (and probably more laminar)... causing a slight lift.

Great video. Definitely an interesting option for mounting!

I would have guessed the lift would be greater than he measured.

It would be interesting to see a wind-tunnel test with smoke showing the airflow and turbulence. The flat leading edge of the panel is creating turbulence so it is hard to guess what is really happening. However, since he was getting a small lift, it would appear that the air going over the top of the panel is moving faster (and probably more laminar)... causing a slight lift.
Agree, he did a pretty respectable job of testing for the things that would concern us when using a non-permanent mounting system. $170 for 8 of the mounts. If only 4 were needed per panel,...that seems reasonable-ish; at 8 for one panel, plus brackets,...we are now talking about $200 to mount one panel. Still reasonable-ish if someone wants the ability to remove the panel and have no evidence of it having been mounted

I built a mount for my small panel that I was using to keep the battery in my UTV charged. The mount was attached to the side of the trailer with magnets. It worked well, but long term the magnets were not kind to the paint and the magnets started to rust. With enough rust/corrosion I suspect that the magnets wouldn't work as well.

I sleep better at night knowing my panels are screwed into the roof of my RV.

Back