diy solar

diy solar

Magnum ME-AGS-N with Westinghouse 7500FD generator?

rogerius

Hello all,
Before contacting the Magnum, just wondering if somebody here is using the Magnum ME-AGS-N with Westinghouse 7500DF generator. I really can't find any clear instructions how to setup the auto starter with this particular generator. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

HELLO, welcome...

Well, it says on this page:

"The Magnum AGS is compatible with most major generators, including Onan, Powertech, Generac, Westerbeke, Kohler, EPS, Northern Lights, and most portable generators with electric start. Please check with your Magnum dealer for specific model compatibility."

So provided that Westinghouse 7500DF is on that list, fingers cross for now.. I would think your generator probably would have one of the 3 common types of wiring and probably would work fine as well, but may not hurt to check. I had a recent deal for a wiring in a soft-start onto an air compressor motor where it was a non-standard install, and the manual indicated for me to contact support about the non-standard install, so I did reach out to support, and they made special writeup edits on my diagram to show me exactly how it needed to wire in for my install. So perhaps if worse comes to worse, support could assist to help if a custom diagram may be required.

Anyways, moving on...

Looks like the manual says:

"2.0 Installation:
Installing the AGS is a simple process."

Whew, well good for that...

Make sure generator starts up without any other intervention (choke works, etc), only needs turn on and starts easy..

10-foot comm cable AGS to inverter, got it.

1606884727037.png

Ok, mount unit.

Remote temp sensor cable stuff, got it...

Plug in the network comm cable, check...

Don't plug in the terminal block to the AGS until all the cable connections are complete, got it...

Basically, the hookup of the AGS to the generator starts on Page 10
(2.6 Connecting the AGS-N to a Generator)...

Did you happen to review that guide already? The one I linked to above?

Here, I'll put the link again:

1606885575375.png

2.6.4 Common Generator Wiring Diagrams
Common generator starting/run/stop circuits can be divided into three major types:
1.) 2-wire control,
2.) 3-wire momentary control,
3.) 3-wire maintain control.

Refer to the following gen wiring diagrams.

16 Installation:

Two-wire control generator types:
-These generator types integrate the control circuits for start-up, running, and stopping (Figure 2-13).
-The generator starts and runs when two control wires are connected, and then stops when they are disconnected.

Three-wire momentary control generator types:
-These generator types use a 3-position momentary type switch that controls their operation (Figures 2-14 & 2-16).
-To start the generator, the switch is momentarily held in the START position.
-This energizes the ignition system and cranks the starter motor.
-Once the engine has started, the switch is released and returns to a center position (i.e., “momentary” run control).
-To shut down the generator, hold the switch in the STOP position until the engine dies.
-Once released, it returns to the center position (i.e., “momentary” stop control).

Three-wire maintain control generator types:
-These generator types use an automotive type starting circuit (Figure 2-15).
-To start the generator, turn the operating switch to a RUN position and then momentarily hold it in the START position.
-Once the engine starts, release the switch and it returns to the RUN position (i.e., “maintain” run control).
-To shut down the generator, move the switch to the OFF position (i.e., “maintain” stop control).

Are you clear which generator type your Westinghouse 7500DF is (of the above types listed), so we know which diagram to refer to next?

This is the decision, then we could move on once we know the above...

First of all, Happy New Year.

I had some time to work to install the Magnum AGS in my system and wish to post some updates for whoever is interested.
- first, I installed the AGS based on diagram posted above by using the 2x 12V relays. Unfortunately the generator doesn't want to start on LP fuel as the programed cycle is using 2 min between the attempts These 2 min. in -15C environment is not helping at all; it is to cold for LP to fire the engine, so definitely in my case this doesn't work.
- looking at the ASG and generator schematics I see that the 2 wire option can be applied in my case. Closing the circuit on the "push button" by using the relay #2 only (pin 6&7) will give the same effect as starting the generator from the push button. The only inconvenient in this case is that the starting circuit remain energized all the time, so potentially can drain the battery (a few mA). A concern if the generator will not run for weeks.
- so far everything is working fine with one exception. I'm using the battery voltage value to start and stop the generator (48.6V start, 60.0V to stop) and in addition with that, I setup a certain time for generator to run (max 3 hours) I found some time the charger is not reaching 60V in 3 hours and in that case the AGS is shutting down the generator and shown a MaxRn fault which means the generator needs to be stopped based on maximum run time. Unfortunately the AGS is locked until the fault is clear, so I need manually clear the fault. I will increase the run time but not sure why this fault is locking the AGS.

Does somebody know how the AGS can be programmed so that fault (MaxRn) can be ignored?
1609770280260.png

Hi Rogerius.
I think I have a similar situation, I recently installed a Magnum AGS with Westinghouse 7000 series generator. I was also very confused about how to set up the AGS according to my generator but finally I also used 2 wire option. This wire option supposed to be the correct option because when I push the red test button the AGS turn on and turn off the generator correctly.
I'm also using the battery voltage value to start and stop the generator in the control remote ( 48.6 to start and 58.0 to stop). I did a lot of tests just to confirm that my generator start and stop according to specified parameters (for example, if right now I have 52 volts, I set the parameters in 51.2 to start and 53 to stop), and the AGS works.
The problem is in start value. When voltage is on low value (start), the AGS sends the signal to turn on the generator and battery bank starts to charge with the generator. But few minutes later the generator shutting off and the AGS try to turn on the generator again. Then, the fault LED on control remote and status LED on AGS start to flash, and the control remote shows on display "Fault vdc".

I'm going to appreciate a lot if somebody have the solution or an advice to set up the control remote.

Regards, and Happy New Year

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_223055.jpg
    IMG_20220122_223055.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 3
First of all, Happy New Year.

I had some time to work to install the Magnum AGS in my system and wish to post some updates for whoever is interested.
- first, I installed the AGS based on diagram posted above by using the 2x 12V relays. Unfortunately the generator doesn't want to start on LP fuel as the programed cycle is using 2 min between the attempts These 2 min. in -15C environment is not helping at all; it is to cold for LP to fire the engine, so definitely in my case this doesn't work.
- looking at the ASG and generator schematics I see that the 2 wire option can be applied in my case. Closing the circuit on the "push button" by using the relay #2 only (pin 6&7) will give the same effect as starting the generator from the push button. The only inconvenient in this case is that the starting circuit remain energized all the time, so potentially can drain the battery (a few mA). A concern if the generator will not run for weeks.
- so far everything is working fine with one exception. I'm using the battery voltage value to start and stop the generator (48.6V start, 60.0V to stop) and in addition with that, I setup a certain time for generator to run (max 3 hours) I found some time the charger is not reaching 60V in 3 hours and in that case the AGS is shutting down the generator and shown a MaxRn fault which means the generator needs to be stopped based on maximum run time. Unfortunately the AGS is locked until the fault is clear, so I need manually clear the fault. I will increase the run time but not sure why this fault is locking the AGS.

Does somebody know how the AGS can be programmed so that fault (MaxRn) can be ignored?
View attachment 32113
Hello, I apologize for reviving your older post - however what you are doing with your Magnum AGS /Westinghouse generator seems to be exactly what I would like to do. I have a Westinghouse WGen 3600DF and a Magnum AGS I attempted to wire the AGS to the generator with the two 12V relays (like the diagram on the Magnum website) and then realized that the wiring diagram had enough differences (between the 7500 and 3600 generators) around the engine switch that I didn't go forward with it. One thing that is the same is the blue and yellow wires on the push button start switch. After seeing what you did it looks like if you leave the engine switch is left in the on position, attach the blue and yellow wires to the terminals 5 and 6 of the AGS and set the Gen Type switch to "2-wire maintain mode" - the generator will start and stop exactly as if should. In order to keep the generator battery charged, I will keep the small "wall wart" charger that came with the generator plugged in 24/7. Do I have this right? Did you figure out a solution for the Fault (MaxRn)? Thank you in advance!

MaxRN is the fault indicated when the Genset runs for the Max Time but doesn't reach the specified end volts, amps or SOC.
You can increase the run time in the AGS setup screen on the remote, you need to make sure you have it set long enough to fully charge the bank from it's Low Voltage Turn On setting.

Thanks! I'll check that setting once I get everything up and running. I am wondering if anyone is using a Westinghouse Generator with the Magnum AGS. Specifically - using the two wire mode and attaching the Magnum AGS to wires (yellow and blue) on the push on/off button. I understand that the main power switch must be left on for this to work. Anyone? Would love to hear how this working for you... Thanks!

Back