diy solar

diy solar

Make 6v from 12v?

DThames

Solar Wizard
Is anyone (here) familiar with the internal connections between the cells of this type of battery? I would be interested in cutting into the cover (if I could avoid open any cell) to convert a 12v into 2s 6v.

1655407761233.png

Well, you won't know until you've taken the hacksaw to it, will ya? :·)
-
The cells are not sealed as separate cells with connections external to the cells and under a cover, which was my hope. The connection is inside the sealed space. So there is not an easy to cut it and separate into 2x3s. Someone gave me a bunch of these and someone else was looking for 6v deer feeder battery options.

Right. I mean... I had a cousin who was a radiologist (he's dead).
Unless you know one too, you would have to saw around the "lid" (you could heat it a bit to soften it), lift it up and see.
You could always glue it back, I guess - but maybe you'll get lucky and the single cells are detachable.
-

Right. I mean... I had a cousin who was a radiologist (he's dead).
Unless you know one too, you would have to saw around the "lid" (you could heat it a bit to soften it), lift it up and see.
You could always glue it back, I guess - but maybe you'll get lucky and the single cells are detachable.
-
Just clipped little bites with some diagonal cutters to nibble enough of the top away to see the insides. A non-starter for what I was looking for. Nothing to see here.

Is anyone (here) familiar with the internal connections between the cells of this type of battery? I would be interested in cutting into the cover (if I could avoid open any cell) to convert a 12v into 2s 6v.

View attachment 98847
Maybe just use a step down converter?

Looking at pictures of a few of those 12v batteries that have the terminals at one end, they all seem to have two rows of three top vents.

So it would seem logical that the place to start cutting might be at the top, between two of the vents, at the opposite end to the two terminals.

Looking at pictures of a few of those 12v batteries that have the terminals at one end, they all seem to have two rows of three top vents.

So it would seem logical that the place to start cutting might be at the top, between two of the vents, at the opposite end to the two terminals.
I did that and the series jumper from cell 3 to cell 4 is inside the sealed cells compartment. Without the cells being sealed, one from another, it is not worth opening and then trying to re-seal the cell space.

Why not just use a 12:6V DC:DC converter instead of modifying the battery? Once you hack it open you are going to have a mess on your hands.

Why not just use a 12:6V DC:DC converter instead of modifying the battery? Once you hack it open you are going to have a mess on your hands.
The question was, Can I rewire it, still outside of the cells?...like if the cells were sealed separately with some type of connection between them that could be accessed under the top cover. That is a, No. The cells share a common sealed space.

Back