diy solar

diy solar

MakeSkyBlue 40amp MPPT questions

PsXtreme

I have a MakeSkyBlue 40amp MPPT charge controller and I have 5 100 watt solar panels. I would like to hook up 4 of them in series, however that seems to be borderline over the voltage specs for a 12 volt system because the max voltage for a 12 volt system is 80 volts, however my panels are 21-22 volts open circuit for a total of 84-88 volts. I know that you should never exceed the voltage specs, so I am not sure that this would be safe. I was thinking, if I hook 2 in series and then the other 2 in series then parallel them that should be 44 volts at 10 amps, correct? Would that be a safe way to connect 4 100 watt panels to this MPPT? I am open to any suggestions on other wiring methods. I dont like parallel so much because my power loss in the wire was pretty substantial. As of now I have 3 hooked in series to that MPPT and the other 2 are hooked to a PWM. I know I am losing alot with the PWM so just trying to optimize what I currently have. Thanks for reading!

Here is a link to the MPPT controller I have with the full specs on it.... https://www.amazon.com/MakeSkyBlue-Controller-Regulator-Display-Flooded/dp/B07HHNHWR6

It will be even higher than 88V (all 4 in series) when they get cold, so that is a no.
2S2P is the way to go.
Panel Isc, and Imp is around 5A?
Are you using 10 gauge wires for PV? It will be fine for 10A unless you are running really long distant.

It will be even higher than 88V (all 4 in series) when they get cold, so that is a no.
2S2P is the way to go.
Panel Isc, and Imp is around 5A?
Are you using 10 gauge wires for PV? It will be fine for 10A unless you are running really long distant.
Sorry, im new to these abbreviations, does that mean 2 panels in series, 2 in parallel or does that mean 2 sets in series and then parallel the 2 sets?

Back