diy solar

diy solar

Making branch connections - MC4 vs direct crimps

Not all MC4 connectors are equal. Neither are all butt splice connectors. Success or failure will depend on the quality of the products.

one could say I never would have had to troubleshoot in the first place had I used solid splices.
I've seen solid wire fail in the middle a few times.....

One could say it, but, doesn't make it true when said.....

I, like soldering versus crimping, don't see where there is much difference if done right in our application...

Sometimes things fail for reasons beyond our control.

saying you don't need to...
…prove anything to you

With my limited scope of knowledge I help whenever I can. Acerbic exchanges are not helpful to anyone. margarite ante porcus. You called me a liar then misquoted me. Clearly your interest is baiting.

When installed on an inhabited structure, building code will require the correct cable and connectors. MC-4 connectors and photovoltaic wire are rated for ultraviolet exposure, fire resistance, and water resistance. 99% of any heatshrink available is not rated for at least one of those factors, and insurance would take a dim view of paying any claim caused by a failure to use properly rated materials. That said, there are cheap connectors and cables that are "rated" and of dubious quality. However MC-4 connectors are designed and rated for this specific purpose, finding high quality ones is the difficult part, the cable is easier (since it is less likely to be made in China).

Back