diy solar

diy solar

making things quieter

vinthewrench

reposting this without the saga.

basically I had a piece of hardware that was to dammed loud for use at home. I replaced their crappy fan (DWPH EFC-06E12D DC 12V 0.60A 60x60x25mm Server Cooling Fan) with a nice quiet Noctua NF-A6x25 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NQMESS.

In general, very few companies know how to do noise engineering ( Apple spends money on this) and ships with the fan as afterthought. The Noctua fans are really quiet and are finding their way into a lot of my home hardware.

Or worse, they use the cheapest fan they can source.

I think the biggest fear would be is the replacement moving the correct cfm and are the voltage/current hookups correct? Analog or PWM? Is there a standard like there is for PCs? Or are all modern fans reusing the PC fans?

So many companies pay NO ATTENTION to the DB ratings of fans and in some cases, they only use the cheapest commodity fans available. It is surprising that even Top Quality 1st Tier products can end up with the crappiest of fans. I long ago discovered quality Axial Fans which use ball bearings and what a huge difference in lifecycle & quietness.

Note that COOLTRON makes High Quality Axial Fans for PC's & Other so you can source those for replacements.
If building Cabinets / Housing etc there are even more & better ways to more air quietly.
Have a look here : https://www.acinfinity.com/quiet-usb-fans/
Cooltron: http://www.cooltron.com/product-211-211-1.html

ALSO NOTE, AC-Infinity has a LOT of various products for various applications , many of which can be used for several purposes. For example I use the USB system with the intelligent thermal controllers and it's amazing. The 115VAC System (similar) as well is pretty darn good too (I also have that too).

Or worse, they use the cheapest fan they can source.

I think the biggest fear would be is the replacement moving the correct cfm and are the voltage/current hookups correct? Analog or PWM? Is there a standard like there is for PCs? Or are all modern fans reusing the PC fans?
good question.. the DWPH EFC-06E12D is a generic 3 wire fan.. red/black 12v - yellow is the tachometer. One of the fans was wired only for power and the other one had the tach.. the Noctua was a direct replacement, though I had to reuse the original cable. The inverter is quieter now . What Steve_S said is true. The purchasing folks usually skimp on the fans.

When someone replaces theirs it would be nice if they posted the model they replaced it in and with what part they replace it with.

I'll try and get to my lv6048's in the next week and post it here.

When someone replaces theirs it would be nice if they posted the model they replaced it in and with what part they replace it with.

I'll try and get to my lv6048's in the next week and post it here.
Keep in mind that they're usually loud because they're a high rpm.

Which is a matter of airflow.

And often people replace loud fans that have high flow with quiet ones with very little flow rate.

So watch out for that.

Back