diy solar

diy solar

Managing Lifepo4 Alibaba Risk

DLTooley

I’m just about to pull the plug on a 4 cell Alibaba purchase and I think I’ve figured out how to manage the issues.
The two known good suppliers I’ve contacted are Amy Wan at Luyuang and Selena Li at Xuba.

Ms Wan was formerly at Xuba and has left to start her own company. Ms Li is her successor at Xuba.

Acceptable quality cells are limited now. Luyuang only has grade A Eve new at $122 and Xuba has Rept, a new manufacturer, at $89. Reading a bit into things Lishen has established their reputation and is no longer selling to this channel. CATL may have more quality issues.
I trust both Luyuang and Xuba to manage quality issues and the lack of acceptable grade B cells is likely due the large numbers of competitors that are NOT able to manage those quality issues.
REPT still needs to establish their reputation, but I believe Xuba can manage that - including balancing cells at a reasonable cost.

The thing I’ve added to this DIYSolar method is insuring that I can inspect for shipping damage prior to receipt. The younger Ms Li was not able to help figure this out, so I’m going with Luyuang.

I was going to get the overkill solar BMS, but instead I think I’ll get the $20 Daly. I will still need to get the Victron Temperature sensor, but my Victron system will also provide the charge and load info via their Bluetooth app.

To build a box/compress I am planning on using plywood and threaded rod. I’ll also add some PKYS blue sea doodads.

Does this sound good? Any additional suggestions?

PS, I have received a number of Alibaba inquiries from suppliers making pre packaged batteries. If I hadn’t figured out the rest I might have considered. Under $1k for 280 ah. The sturdier 100ah Fortune cells in a 200ah 2p4s configuration would also be a good choice.

This market will continue to evolve, let’s do our best to keep this channel open by being known good customers.

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest taking a look at some of the posts by @ghostwriter66, you should be able to find a number from managing your risks to the best deals. She buys a lot of batteries.

I requested
Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest taking a look at some of the posts by @ghostwriter66, you should be able to find a number from managing your risks to the best deals. She buys a lot of batteries.
I requested quotes from both Luyuang and Xuba on currently available stock. Xuba wasn’t able to answer my refuse before acceptance of delivery question so I went with Luyuang and the higher priced new EVE cells.
Thanks!

I have been doing business with companies in China and around the world for years. Alibaba has some good protections if you purchase through them. I just purchased $10,000 worth of LiPo4 cells from James at Dongguan Lightning New Energy Technology Co., Ltd He has good technical knowledge. He shipped the cells when he said he would. Shipping went well. There is a problem with the Port of LA for unloading cargo. I suggest that you contact James before you make your decision. I don't have any financial interest in his company. I understand your fears with ordering from China. I have trust in James and his company so I wanted to pass this information along to you. Hope it helps.

If I can help you in any way feel free to contact me my info is below

Lon B. Arnold
the retired guy
435-609-7144
me@lonarnold.com

I requested

I requested quotes from both Luyuang and Xuba on currently available stock. Xuba wasn’t able to answer my refuse before acceptance of delivery question so I went with Luyuang and the higher priced new EVE cells.
Thanks!
Yes, any company offering "matched" commodity cells is simply putting a meter on them and finding cells close to the same voltage. The grade A EVE cells you purchased are truly matched cells from the factory (IR and capacity, which requires actual testing, not just a meter).

There is also a review of a Xuba built battery on here that you might find enlightening, garage quality would be an understatement.

Thread 'Xuba Pre-built 277AH LIFEPO4 Battery' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/xuba-pre-built-277ah-lifepo4-battery.18058/

Last edited:
Yes, any company offering "matched" commodity cells is simply putting a meter on them and finding cells close to the same voltage. The grade A EVE cells you purchased are truly matched cells from the factory (IR and capacity, which requires actual testing, not just a meter).

There is also a review of a Xuba built battery on here that you might find enlightening, garage quality would be an understatement.

Thread 'Xuba Pre-built 277AH LIFEPO4 Battery' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/xuba-pre-built-277ah-lifepo4-battery.18058/
My batteries came direct from the factory. When I say battery I really should say 3.2V cells. I'll add a BMS and build my own system.

With my business we both bought and sold products to China so I made a number of good friends there. I traveled to China a number of times to inspect factories before I would do business with them.

I had a rep in China go to the factory that I purchased my batteries from and he and videoed the acceptance test for me. All my batteries are from the same lot.

I looked at the link you referred me to. It was interesting.

Take care,

Lon B. Arnold
435-609-7144
me@lonarnold.com

In this period everyone has for sale this batch of EVE 280ah cells that define grade A, they are not grade A despite the excellent performance, nobody on alibaba really sells grade A cells, grade A cells are much more expensive and in particular EVE , are sold only by official channels, moreover they are not equipped with threaded poles as EVE only provides for laser welding for their cells. I am attaching an official statement ....WeChat Image_20210609123422.jpg

I received my batteries on June 23, a tad bit more than two months from ship date. The batteries, at a premium, are excellent. The shipping was a bit curious as the advance FedEx label was not used. As such I was not able to inspect prior to receipt. The batteries were undamaged, so no problem.

I received my batteries on June 23, a tad bit more than two months from ship date. The batteries, at a premium, are excellent. The shipping was a bit curious as the advance FedEx label was not used. As such I was not able to inspect prior to receipt. The batteries were undamaged, so no problem.
Yes, Amy buys directly from EVE, so they cost more. I am sure you will be happy.

Back