diy solar

diy solar

Manual for Cheap Chinese PWM charge controller

Escritar

I'd like to construct a solar system to power a very small remotely located LED lighted property/house number. I'd like to use one of the cheap Chinese PWM charge controllers, but the manual that is included with these PWM's is vague and usually poorly written in Chinglish.

Is there a manual or a document that provides explanations of the capabilities and functions of these cheap Chinese PWM charge controllers written in understandable English?

I'd like to use one of the cheap Chinese PWM charge controllers
Do you have a specific model in mind? I’ve been happy with a 10A “SL-03” from Wincong (they OEM to a number of resellers, but also sell direct). Better than decent manual.

For very small applications like yours Wincong also makes the tiny SX01 that is targeted at exactly that + solar powered advertising / traffic signs.
It is extremely versatile, damn cheap and handles all types of batteries from lead-acid to Lipo at various voltages.
OK the manual requires a bit of patience, for instance you must notice that the option "Load on all the time" is 6. (six plus dot).

Attached are photos of the PWM charge controller I currently have and the instructions which were included with it.

I'd like to know more about the functions it will perform and the procedure to "set each function".

I have determined how to adjust several of the parameters, but there are a couple that I'm not sure I understand what would be the correct value for the parameter. Also would like to know if the values "set" for each of the parameters will remain if the charge controller loses power or if the values will need to be "re-set".

Attachments

• IMG_4361.JPG
    IMG_4361.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4363.JPG
    IMG_4363.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4364.JPG
    IMG_4364.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 59
The small solar panel I would like to use is 12V 10 watts, however, the LED's I will use are 24V. I propose to use the 12V solar panel to charge 2 - 12V batteries which will be connected in series to power the 24V LED's. The charge controller is 12V/24V and also has the ability to function as a photocell to turn the LED's on from "dusk to dawn".

However, I'm not sure about the circuitry and if/how the charge controller will function in regard to the following:

1. 12V to charge the batteries
2. 24V to power the LED's
3. Controlling power to the LED's from dusk until dawn

There are 2 possible scenarios, however, I'm not sure scenario 2 will work as I do not understand the capabilities of a charge controller in this configuration.

1. Solar panel to the charge controller which charges the 12V batteries. The batteries are connected in series to provide 24V power to the LED's. The charge controller is "set" to provide power continuously and a photocell/photo diode is used to control "dusk to dawn" power to the LED's.

2. Solar panel to the charge controller which charges the 12V batteries. The batteries are connected in series for 24V. The LED's are connected to the "load" side of the charge controller which provides dusk to dawn poser to the LED's.

Attached are photos of the PWM charge controller I currently have and the instructions which were included with it.

I'd like to know more about the functions it will perform and the procedure to "set each function".

I have determined how to adjust several of the parameters, but there are a couple that I'm not sure I understand what would be the correct value for the parameter. Also would like to know if the values "set" for each of the parameters will remain if the charge controller loses power or if the values will need to be "re-set".
OK i know that cheapo controler: It is pretty straight forward to use and -of course stores- the settings in EEPROM so you don't need to re-enter the settings each time you repower the device.

Use a single 12V battery. Feed the lights from the light output of the controller. Look at your favourite Chinese supplier for buck-converters to get 24V out of 12v. Better, replace the LED driver with a 12V model or look for an upvolting buck converter that has a current limiter and feed directly the leds directly at the requested current. You will, as a bonus, be able the trim the current to lower values and save power.

Last edited:
I've just bought the same controller (or it looks like this, very much), but there wasn't any manual inside. Can you please scan yours, and attach here?
That's what I got from vendor.

Attachments

• ATO-PWM-solar-charge-controller-user-manual-CamScan.pdf
    747 KB · Views: 33
For very small applications like yours Wincong also makes the tiny SX01 that is targeted at exactly that + solar powered advertising / traffic signs.
It is extremely versatile, damn cheap and handles all types of batteries from lead-acid to Lipo at various voltages.
OK the manual requires a bit of patience, for instance you must notice that the option "Load on all the time" is 6. (six plus dot).
I have this controller. Had it set up for dusk to dawn. It has been cut off and lost the dusk to dawn setting. What number do I need to set it up on?? Thanks in advance for your help, Gary

I have the same blue controller which I bought to test out of curiosity.

It's hooked up to a 10w solar panel and 7ah battery, it does not retain the settings I make for more than a couple of days and keeps going back to default.

Back